Simplifying a Complicated Double Integral?

In summary, this mathematician says that if you want to solve a double integrals with an equation in rectangular coordinates, start by collecting the variables as a single term and then integrate them term by term.
Hendrik
Hi,
I am new here, but apparently there are some decent mathematicians around, so I would like to confront you with a double integral problem.

Consider

[tex] \psi_n(z) = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{ (z-\frac{1}{2}) \cdot (r \cos(\theta) + \frac{1}{2})^n \cdot r} { \sqrt{ 4z^2+4r^2+4r\cos(\theta)+2-4z }^(2n+3) }\,dr\,d\theta [/tex]

which is a function of z for given n, n>0.
The problem is that I need an analytical sloution, because \psi_n shall be integrated again which can then be done numerically. I considered basic integration methods and gave the expression to maple but it didn't help. I wonder if there is any possibility to simplify the integrand / solve the integral.

If you don't think so please tell me so, too, this would already be some help. Thank you.

Hendrik

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I am new here, but apparently there are some decent mathematicians around, so I would like to confront you with a double integral problem.

Consider

[tex] \psi_n(z) = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{ (z-\frac{1}{2}) \cdot (r \cos(\theta) + \frac{1}{2})^n \cdot r} {\sqrt{4z^2+4r^2+4r\cos(\theta)+2-4z}^{2n+3}}\,dr\,d\theta [/tex]

which is a function of z for given n, n>0. The problem is that I need an analytical sloution, because \psi_n shall be integrated again which can then be done numerically. I considered basic integration methods and gave the expression to maple but it didn't help. I wonder if there is any possibility to simplify the integrand / solve the integral.

If you don't think so please tell me so, too, this would already be some help. Thank you.

Hendrik

Hi,

Consider

[tex] \psi_n(z) = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{ (z-\frac{1}{2}) \cdot (r \cos(\theta) + \frac{1}{2})^n \cdot r} {sqrt{4z^2+4r^2+4r\cos(\theta)+2-4z}^{2n+3}}\,dr\,d\theta [/tex]

which is a function of z for given n, n>0. The problem is that I need an analytical sloution, because \psi_n shall be integrated again which can then be done numerically. I considered basic integration methods and gave the expression to maple but it didn't help. I wonder if there is any possibility to simplify the integrand / solve the integral.

Hendrik

Hi,

Consider

[tex] \psi_n(z) = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{ (z-\frac{1}{2}) \cdot (r \cos(\theta) + \frac{1}{2})^n \cdot r} {\sqrt{4z^2+4r^2+4r\cos(\theta)+2-4z}^{2n+3}}\,dr\,d\theta [/tex]

Hendrik

Did you mean this ?

[tex] \psi_n(z) = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{ (z-\frac{1}{2}) \cdot (r \cos(\theta) + \frac{1}{2})^n \cdot r} {\sqrt{4z^2+4r^2+4r\cos (\theta)+2-4z^{2n+3}}}\,dr\,d\theta [/tex]

If so...

[tex] \psi_n(z) =(z-\frac{1}{2}) \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{ (r \cos(\theta) + \frac{1}{2})^n \cdot r} {\sqrt{4z^2+4r^2+4r\cos (\theta)+2-4z^{2n+3}}}\,dr\,d\theta [/tex]

for a start, try interchanging the order of integration the stuff in z (under the radical) is just a constant so collect it as one, expand the numerator as a binomial series and integrate termwise after completing the square in the denominator. (maybe that'll work: try it.

Thanks for the answer, but no, I meant:

...sorry for the latex trouble. Taking out the constants is a good idea and it might speed up the numerical processing a little. But the question remains if the integral is analytically treatable, even for n=1.

Let's talk about this guy here
[tex] \psi_n(z) = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{(r \cos(\theta)+x_0)^n \cdot r} {\sqrt{r^2+r\cos(\theta)+p}^{2n+3}}\,dr\,d\theta [/tex]
and set n=0. We obtain:
[tex] \psi_1(z) = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{(r \cos(\theta)+x_0) \cdot r} {\sqrt{r^2+r\cos(\theta)+p}^{5}}\,dr\,d\theta [/tex]

What do you think?
Hendrik

You set n= 1, not 0.

Have you looked at it in rectangular coordinates? It looks as if it would be much easier.

Does

[tex] \psi_1(z) = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{(r \cos(\theta)+x_0) \cdot r} {\sqrt{r^2+r\cos(\theta)+p}^{5}}\,dr\,d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{(r \cos(\theta)+x_0) \cdot r} {\left( \sqrt{r^2+r\cos(\theta)+p}\right) ^{5}}\,dr\,d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{(r \cos(\theta)+x_0) \cdot r} {\left( r^2+r\cos(\theta)+p}\right) ^{\frac{5}{2}}}\,dr\,d\theta[/tex]

or what?

Hi Benorin, Hi Hurkyl,

meanwhile I solved the problem using mathematica instead of maple which I found out is much more performant numerically. I still don't know if it works other way, but thank you guys, anyway.

Hendrik

Question 1: What is a complicated double integral?

A complicated double integral is a type of mathematical calculation that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It is a more complex version of a single integral, which involves integrating a function of one variable over a one-dimensional region.

Question 2: What is the purpose of calculating a complicated double integral?

The purpose of calculating a complicated double integral is to find the exact value of a function over a two-dimensional region. This can be useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and statistics.

Question 3: How is a complicated double integral solved?

A complicated double integral is solved using a variety of methods, including the use of integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It can also be solved using numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

Question 4: What types of functions can be integrated using a complicated double integral?

Complicated double integrals can be used to integrate a wide range of functions, including polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions. They can also be used to integrate more complex functions, such as piecewise functions and functions with multiple variables.

Question 5: What are some real-world applications of complicated double integrals?

Complicated double integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of objects, determining centroids and moments of inertia, finding the center of mass of an object, and calculating probabilities in statistics. They are also used in various fields of physics, such as calculating the work done by a force and finding the electric field of a charged object.