HOLY S my CF bulb burnt out LITERALLY

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bulb
In summary, a CF bulb burnt out, causing a smell of smoke. There is no danger and you are supposed to send the bulb back to the manufacturer for recycling.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
HOLY S*** my CF bulb burnt out! LITERALLY!

OK UHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

My CF bulb... that's probably been in use for a year or 2... just burnt out... LITERALLY! It faded in and out and then it became really dim and a bit orange inside and then it became even mooooore dimmer and then it flat out went out. Now i can smell smoke. From what i remember... don't CF bulbs contain phosphorous and mercury?! Should i throw this thing ouside until the smoke is gone? Should i even evacuate this room? I am scared!

Physics news on Phys.org
It does contain mercury, but just very little so there is no danger.

Ok... but if i die, you'll be hearing from me!

Pengwuino said:
OK UHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

My CF bulb... that's probably been in use for a year or 2... just burnt out... LITERALLY! It faded in and out and then it became really dim and a bit orange inside and then it became even mooooore dimmer and then it flat out went out. Now i can smell smoke.
Wow! I can only imagine you've had an electronics failure and burned through a FET or somesuch.

From what i remember... don't CF bulbs contain phosphorous and mercury?!
Trace amounts of mercury (likely less than micrograms), but no phosphorus. You're getting confused with the phosphor (related to phosphorescence, not phosphorus) coating.

Should i throw this thing ouside until the smoke is gone? Should i even evacuate this room? I am scared!
Is there actually smoke billowing out from this thing, or do you only smell something? These bulbs are not supposed to die in a dangerous/catastrophic manner. The electronics eventually give out or the electrodes die and you can't ionize the gas any longer.

Anyway, I think you're supposed to send those back to the manufacturer for recycling. You most likely paid for the recycling cost when you bought the bulb.

Some CF bulbs burn out long before their advertised "10,000 hour" life. Others (even from the same batch) keep going. I have several bulbs that are at least 12 years old and are still going (all of them Phillips bulbs). While I have "burnt through" 3 GE "2D" bulbs, and 2 GE "Genura" bulbs in only four years. Methinks GE sucks and Phillips is da bomb.

There wasn't any visible smoke but you could smell smoke. It also made a weird noise when it went out. I'm suppose to send them back to the manufacturer? Pfff, i can't afford shipping these bulbs out :P

I suppose i got a decent amount of time out of this bulb considering it was on like, 16 hours a day for the last year or 2.

1. Why did my CFL bulb burn out so quickly?

CFL bulbs have a lifespan of approximately 10,000 hours, but there are a few reasons why they may burn out sooner. One possible reason is that the bulb was not designed for the specific fixture or wattage it was used in. Another reason could be that the bulb was frequently turned on and off, as this can decrease its lifespan. Additionally, power surges or fluctuations in the electrical current can also cause a CFL bulb to burn out faster.

2. Can I safely dispose of my burnt out CFL bulb?

CFL bulbs contain a small amount of mercury, so they should be disposed of properly to avoid any potential hazards. Many hardware or home improvement stores offer CFL recycling programs where you can safely dispose of your burnt out bulbs. It is important to never throw CFL bulbs in the trash or recycling bin.

3. How can I prevent my CFL bulb from burning out again?

To prolong the lifespan of your CFL bulb, make sure to use the correct wattage for the fixture and avoid frequently turning the bulb on and off. You can also consider investing in a surge protector to protect against any power fluctuations. Additionally, keeping the bulb clean and dust-free can also help extend its lifespan.

4. Is it worth it to switch to CFL bulbs?

CFL bulbs are more energy efficient and have a longer lifespan than traditional incandescent bulbs. This means that even though they may have a higher upfront cost, they can save you money in the long run on your energy bills and replacement bulbs. Additionally, using CFL bulbs can also help reduce your carbon footprint and benefit the environment.

5. Can I use a CFL bulb in a dimmable fixture?

Some CFL bulbs are dimmable, but not all of them. It is important to check the packaging or manufacturer's specifications to see if the bulb is dimmable. Using a non-dimmable CFL bulb in a dimmable fixture can cause the bulb to flicker or burn out quickly. Additionally, you may need to purchase a specific dimmer switch designed for CFL bulbs.