Investigating Factors Affecting Pendulum Period

In summary, the conversation discusses the investigation of factors that affect the time it takes for a pendulum to make one complete swing. The person asking for help is in the planning process and is seeking suggestions for a preliminary experiment. They are also juggling chemistry and biology coursework. Some possible factors that could affect the pendulum's period are mentioned, such as its length, mass, and arc size. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of taking into account the planet the pendulum is on, or using an elevator as an alternative. The original person seeking help later updates that they have completed their experiment successfully and are now writing up their coursework.
musicmad_91
Hello can anyone give me any help on this:
I am investigating what factors affect the time it takes for a pendulum to make one complete swing??

Me
xxx

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you attmpted to set up an experiment?

This is somthing that's worth attempting to test yourself by measurement, a fun few hours.

I am at the moment in the middle of the planning process. i was wondering what would be a good perlimenary experiment to set up do you know? have 6 lessons left to finish this and it is a bit of a stuggle with chemisty and biology coursework going on at the same time! Thanks alot!
Me
xx

musicmad_91 said:
I am at the moment in the middle of the planning process. i was wondering what would be a good perlimenary experiment to set up do you know?
Hmm..making a pendulum and see how fast it swings, perhaps?

However, a bit more serious:
What factors do YOU think might affect the period of the pendulum?

There aren't that many possible factors are there? The length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, the size of the arc the pendulum goes through. What else is there to a pendulum? Do some experiments varying those (one at a time) and time the swings.

Well, one MIGHT add the planet the pendulum is on as possibly of some importance..
(

That might make the experiment very difficult to do!

arildno said:
Well, one MIGHT add the planet the pendulum is on as possibly of some importance..
(
Well, one could instead get in an elevator accelerating at different rates instead :smile:

Thankies!

lol thanks guys! i have sucessfully completed my experiment and am now just writing up the coursework!
peace out!
xx

:biggrin:

Let us know how it went :)

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a simple device that consists of a weight suspended from a fixed point and free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is commonly found in clocks and other timekeeping devices.

2. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the amplitude of the swing can also have an impact on the period.

3. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The longer the length of a pendulum, the longer its period will be. This is because the longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel in one swing, resulting in a slower swing and longer period.

4. How does the mass of a pendulum affect its period?

The mass of a pendulum does not affect its period. The period of a pendulum is solely determined by its length and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Why is it important to investigate factors affecting pendulum period?

Investigating factors affecting pendulum period can help us better understand the principles of pendulum motion and how they can be applied in various technologies and industries. It also allows us to make accurate measurements and predictions in fields such as physics and engineering.