Potential energy stored in a spring

In summary, to calculate the potential energy stored in a compression spring, you can use Hooke's law and the formula E_{p} = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2} where k is the spring constant and x is the distance compressed. The spring constant can be approximated using the formula \sqrt{\frac{K}{\rho}} = a\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}, where K is the bulk modulus of the material, \rho is the density, m is the mass of an atom, and a is the atomic spacing. Keep in mind that power is a measure of work done per unit time, so a time reference is needed to express work done in terms of watts or horse power.
Kevin Jones
potential energy stored in a spring...

Help needed :)

I guess this will be easy for some of you put there...but not me it seems. What I need to know is how to calculate the potential energy that can be stored in a compression spring. I currently have a project of mine that is a design for pedal assistance on a bicycle so the answer would be helpfull in Watts or Horse power.
If somebody could help me and tell me the calculation I would very much appreciate it.

Kevin.

Ps, any ideas on the subject of potential energy and its application for pedal assistance is also welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin Jones said:
Help needed :)

I guess this will be easy for some of you put there...but not me it seems. What I need to know is how to calculate the potential energy that can be stored in a compression spring. I currently have a project of mine that is a design for pedal assistance on a bicycle so the answer would be helpfull in Watts or Horse power.
If somebody could help me and tell me the calculation I would very much appreciate it.

Kevin.

Ps, any ideas on the subject of potential energy and its application for pedal assistance is also welcome.
Hi there Kevin and welcome to PF,

Are you familiar with Hooke's law? Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a Hookean material is equal to the product of the spring constant and the strain (distance compressed) and can be expressed thus;

[tex]F = -kx[/tex]

Now, any work done on the spring (by an applied stress) will be stored as potential energy. Work done is defined as the integral of force with respect to displacement, therefore;

[tex]E_{p} = \int^{x}_{0} F \; dx = \int^{x}_{0} kx \; dx[/tex]

[tex]E_{p} = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex]

Where k is the spring constant, which can be approximated using the following formula;

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{{\color{red}K}}{\rho}} = a\sqrt{\frac{{\color{red}k}}{m}}[/tex]

Note the different cases of K and k. The uppercase 'K' is the bulk modulus of the material, the lower case k is the spring constant, [itex]\rho[/itex] represents the density, m is the mass of an atom and a represents the atomic spacing (the space between the atoms).

You say in your original post;
Kevin Jones said:
answer would be helpful in Watts or Horse power
These are units of power not energy; to express work done in terms of power a time reference is required (power is work done per unit time). I hope this is helpful for you and I look forward to assisting you in your project.

Last edited:

Dear Kevin,

It's great to hear about your project on pedal assistance for a bicycle. Potential energy stored in a spring is an important concept in physics and engineering, and it is essential for understanding the mechanics of your project.

To calculate the potential energy stored in a compression spring, you will need to know two values: the spring constant (k) and the displacement of the spring (x). The spring constant is a measure of how stiff the spring is, and it is usually given in units of Newtons per meter (N/m). The displacement is the distance that the spring is compressed from its equilibrium position, and it is also measured in meters (m).

The formula for calculating potential energy stored in a spring is:

Potential energy (U) = 1/2 * k * x^2

So, to calculate the potential energy stored in your compression spring, you will need to measure the spring constant and the displacement of the spring. Once you have those values, you can plug them into the formula to find the potential energy in Joules (J). To convert this to Watts or horsepower, you will need to know the time it takes for the spring to compress and release, as power is measured in units of energy per unit time.

As for potential energy and its application for pedal assistance, you can think of the spring as a way to store energy. When the rider pedals, they are exerting a force on the spring, compressing it and storing potential energy. This potential energy can then be released to assist the rider in pedaling, making it easier for them to move the bicycle forward. This is a basic concept of how potential energy can be used for pedal assistance, and there are many other factors and designs that can be incorporated for a more efficient and effective system.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your project!

Sincerely,

What is potential energy stored in a spring?

Potential energy stored in a spring is the energy that a spring possesses when it is stretched or compressed. This energy is stored in the spring due to its ability to return to its original shape when the force acting upon it is removed.

How is potential energy stored in a spring calculated?

The potential energy stored in a spring can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx², where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in a spring?

The amount of potential energy stored in a spring is affected by the spring constant, which is determined by the material and shape of the spring, as well as the amount of displacement from its equilibrium position.

How does potential energy stored in a spring relate to kinetic energy?

When a spring is released, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its equilibrium position. This is known as elastic potential energy and can be seen in objects such as a spring-powered toy car.

What are some real-life examples of potential energy stored in a spring?

Some examples of potential energy stored in a spring include a compressed spring in a pogo stick, a stretched spring in a slingshot, and a compressed spring in a mousetrap. Springs can also be found in various machines and devices, such as shock absorbers and trampolines.