'sound' waves at the speed of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the speed of sound and the speed of light, and questions how dense a material would have to be to travel at the speed of light. It is concluded that the speed of light is an absolute constant and is impossible for any material to achieve, with the closest being in a vacuum. In a singularity, the speed of anything would be indeterminable due to the immense gravitational forces present.
hazhar
OK, this is just a little musing I had and I wonder what anyone who has real physics knowledge thinks about it :smile:

Now, unless I'm mistaken the speed of sound, i.e kinetic waves in any medium, is based on the medium's density - the denser the medium, the faster the wave propogates.
My question is, how dense would the material have to be to travel at the speed of light? My first assumption was it would have to be infinite, but then realized that this would cause the wave to propagate instantaniously... what would stop this from happening? is it that a medium can only ever get to a certain density? what is the speed of 'sound' in a singularity?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
That is a good question! The speed of sound is based on the medium’s density, but the speed of light is an absolute constant and is not dependent on the medium it is traveling through. It is actually impossible for any material to travel at the speed of light, since the speed of light is always going to be faster than anything else. The closest you could get would be in a vacuum, where the speed of light is the absolute maximum speed possible. In a singularity, the speed of anything would be indeterminable due to the immense gravitational forces present.

1. What is the speed of sound waves?

The speed of sound waves varies depending on the medium through which they are traveling. In air at sea level, sound waves travel at approximately 343 meters per second. In water, they travel at a faster speed of about 1,500 meters per second.

2. How does the speed of sound compare to the speed of light?

The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, is significantly faster than the speed of sound. In fact, the speed of light is about 874,030 times faster than the speed of sound in air.

3. Can sound waves travel at the speed of light?

No, sound waves cannot travel at the speed of light. Sound waves are mechanical waves that require a medium to propagate, while light is an electromagnetic wave that can travel through a vacuum. Therefore, sound waves cannot travel at the same speed as light.

4. What happens when sound waves approach the speed of light?

As sound waves approach the speed of light, they would experience a phenomenon known as acoustic lensing, where the sound waves would bend and focus similar to how light waves are refracted by a lens. However, it is impossible for sound waves to actually reach the speed of light.

5. How do sound waves and light waves interact?

Sound waves and light waves do not directly interact with each other. Sound waves are mechanical waves that require a medium to travel, while light waves are electromagnetic waves that do not require a medium. However, sound waves can indirectly influence light waves by causing changes in the medium through which the light is traveling, such as creating vibrations that can be seen as light waves through a phenomenon called sonoluminescence.