How many Cr atoms in 78.82 g potassium dichromate?

• Thread starter Banaticus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, there are 3.228 x 10^23 chromium atoms in 78.82 g potassium dichromate. This can be calculated by finding the number of moles of potassium dichromate and then multiplying it by the Avogadro constant and the number of chromium atoms in each molecule. A more in depth tutorial on LaTeX may be helpful for learning how to correctly format mathematical equations.
Banaticus
How many Cr atoms in 78.82 g potassium dichromate?
Potassium dichromate is [tex]\textrm{K}_{2}\textrm{Cr}_{2}\textrm{O}_{7}[/tex].

I said:

The molecular mass of potassium dichromate is:
39.1*2+52*2+16*7=294.2

So, in 78.82 g potassium dichromate, there are 78.82/294.2= 0.2680 moles of potassium dichromate. Each mole of potassium dichromate has [tex]6.022~x~10^{23}[/tex] molecules, each with 2 chromium atoms. So, in one mole, there are [tex]1.204~×~10^{24}[/tex] chromium atoms. So, in .2680 moles, there are [tex].2680(1.2044~×~10^{24})~=~3.228~×~10^{23}[/tex], correct?

As a sidenote, it appears that LaTeX graphical formulas can't be seen in the preview mode -- the only way to check them is to post the message then edit the message if they're wrong? Also, where can I find a better LaTeX tutorial than https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf which just doesn't give enough information? Ah, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=9021 has some pretty good information, but I still don't seem to be doing my LaTeX correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that looks good. And I don't currently know of any better LaTeX tutorial, I've just been learning it recently too and would also be interested in a more in depth tutorial.

Your calculations are correct. In 78.82 g of potassium dichromate, there are 3.228 × 10^23 chromium atoms.

Regarding your questions about LaTeX, it is true that the preview mode does not show LaTeX graphical formulas. The only way to check them is to post the message and then edit if needed. As for finding a better LaTeX tutorial, there are many resources available online, such as tutorials and forums where you can ask for help. Some popular ones include Overleaf, LaTeX Project, and TeX Stack Exchange.

1. How do I calculate the number of Cr atoms in 78.82 g potassium dichromate?

To calculate the number of Cr atoms in a given amount of potassium dichromate, we need to use the molar mass of potassium dichromate and Avogadro's number. The molar mass of potassium dichromate (K2Cr2O7) is 294.19 g/mol. This means that in 294.19 g of potassium dichromate, there are 6.022 x 10^23 (Avogadro's number) molecules. Therefore, in 78.82 g of potassium dichromate, there are (78.82 g / 294.19 g/mol) x (6.022 x 10^23) = 1.612 x 10^23 Cr atoms.

2. Why is it important to know the number of Cr atoms in potassium dichromate?

Knowing the number of Cr atoms in potassium dichromate is important for various reasons. For instance, it helps us understand the chemical properties and reactions of potassium dichromate. Additionally, it allows us to accurately measure and predict the amount of potassium dichromate needed for a specific experiment or reaction.

3. Can the number of Cr atoms in potassium dichromate vary?

Yes, the number of Cr atoms in potassium dichromate can vary depending on the amount of potassium dichromate used. As mentioned before, the number of Cr atoms is directly proportional to the amount of potassium dichromate. So, if we use a different amount of potassium dichromate, the number of Cr atoms will also change accordingly.

4. Is there a way to verify the calculated number of Cr atoms in potassium dichromate?

Yes, there are a few ways to verify the calculated number of Cr atoms in potassium dichromate. One way is to use a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance of a known concentration of potassium dichromate and then use the Beer-Lambert law to calculate the number of Cr atoms. Another way is to perform a titration using a known concentration of potassium dichromate and a reducing agent, and then calculate the number of Cr atoms based on the reaction stoichiometry.

5. Can the number of Cr atoms in potassium dichromate be changed?

No, the number of Cr atoms in potassium dichromate cannot be changed. It is a constant value that is determined by the molecular structure of potassium dichromate. However, we can change the number of potassium dichromate molecules, and therefore the number of Cr atoms, by using more or less of the compound in a reaction or experiment.