Pd cats. for Suzuki microwave rxn.

In summary, the author is trying to couple alkyl boronic acids to a bromo pyridine and is having trouble. They are using a palladium catalyst and alkene boronic acid esters, but are having trouble getting quantitative yields. They suggest using the alkene version of the boroneate ester and found that introducing the double bond worked miracles.
gravenewworld
I was wondering if any pro chemists on here have a decent amount of experience doing suzuki coupling reactions. Currently I am trying to couple alkyl boronic acids to a bromo pyridine in the microwave, but seem to be having a lot of trouble. The only thing that I am observing so far is removal of the bromo, but no addition of my alkyl chain to the pyridine ring. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what types of palladium catalysts/ligands/bases/temperature/or solvents I should be using for this type of reaction. I make sure before every reaction that I degas the vial with nitrogen to remove any oxygen from the solvent.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What kind of catalyst system are you using?
What alkyl boronate are you trying to add?

What solvent are you using? Water/THF?

Palladium acetate will work as will palladium tetrakis(triphenylphosphine). don't forget to use the alkali base...

Thanks for the reply. We ended up getting around the problem by using the alkene version of the boronate ester and ended up getting around near quantitative yields for the suzuki couplings. Introducing the double bond seemed to work miracles.

we were using tetrakis/potassium carb/dioxane+water as our system.

I have heard that coupling alkyl groups by the Suzuki-Miyaura method needs very forcing conditions. I've seen very strong non-nucleophilic bases like t-BuOK used with halide scavengers like silver triflate (obviously no water) applied with only modest yields. Perhaps the pi system is overlapping into empty d orbital of palladium in the unsaturated versions of this reaction and the much higher energy antibonding orbitals are employed in the alkyl systems.

chemisttree said:
I have heard that coupling alkyl groups by the Suzuki-Miyaura method needs very forcing conditions. I've seen very strong non-nucleophilic bases like t-BuOK used with halide scavengers like silver triflate (obviously no water) applied with only modest yields. Perhaps the pi system is overlapping into empty d orbital of palladium in the unsaturated versions of this reaction and the much higher energy antibonding orbitals are employed in the alkyl systems.

Interesting. So far I have never had success at coupling alkyl groups via Suzuki rxns. They always have to be the alkene versions of what I want. What is great with the alkene version is that it only usually takes me 15 minutes at 155 C to get quanitative yields. Work up is a cinch too.

Suzuki reactions are nice that way. Have you ever thought to try making aryl silanes by this method. Current methods use grignards and is a obviously a batch process. Suzuki conditions lend themselves well to continuous processing. Have you seen anyone use Suzuki conditions to make polymers?

Nah I have never seen anyone do Suzukis to make polymers, that is not the type of thing we do where I am. The only draw back that I have come across is the fact that if my molecule doesn't have any basic nitrogens I can exploit to make HCl salts of, getting rid of the triphenylphosphine oxide is a BEAR of a problem. the TPP oxide always sticks to the columns in the LCMS, makes you get terrible chromatograms when doing a silica column, and trace amounts give you terrible looking NMRs. I can remove a lot of the catalyst by dissolving the product up in DCM and filtering out the catalyst that crashes out, but it doesn't get rid of all of it. If a suzuki rxn is needed, usually I have to tailor my compound so that it will have a basic nitrogen in it.

You might be confusing Wittig with Grignard...

chemisttree said:
You might be confusing Wittig with Grignard...

_______________huh?

Does the small amount from the catalyst cause all of those problems?

1. What is a Pd catalyst and how does it work?

A Pd catalyst, or palladium catalyst, is a type of catalyst that contains the element palladium and is used in various chemical reactions. It works by facilitating the reaction process, lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur and increasing the rate of the reaction.

2. What is the Suzuki microwave reaction?

The Suzuki microwave reaction is a type of chemical reaction that uses a Pd catalyst to facilitate the cross-coupling of two organic compounds. It involves the reaction of an organic halide with an organoboron compound in the presence of a Pd catalyst, resulting in the formation of a new carbon-carbon bond.

3. What are the advantages of using a Pd catalyst in the Suzuki microwave reaction?

Using a Pd catalyst in the Suzuki microwave reaction has several advantages. It allows for faster reaction times, higher yields, and milder reaction conditions, making it a more efficient and environmentally friendly process. Additionally, Pd catalysts are highly selective, meaning they can target specific carbon-carbon bonds, resulting in fewer unwanted byproducts.

4. Can any type of Pd catalyst be used in the Suzuki microwave reaction?

No, not all Pd catalysts are suitable for the Suzuki microwave reaction. The most commonly used Pd catalysts for this reaction are Pd(OAc)2 (palladium acetate) or PdCl2 (palladium chloride) in combination with a phosphine ligand such as PPh3 (triphenylphosphine).

5. How is the Pd catalyst recovered and reused in the Suzuki microwave reaction?

The Pd catalyst can be recovered and reused in the Suzuki microwave reaction by using a variety of methods such as filtration, extraction, or distillation. These methods allow for the separation of the Pd catalyst from the reaction mixture, and it can then be recycled for future reactions. This not only reduces the cost of the reaction but also makes it more sustainable.