Speed of Moving Object: Exploring Length Contraction & Time Dilation

In summary, the factor that you get when you plug the length contraction and time dilation of a moving object back into the form of meters/second represents the speed of the object in meters/second.
petm1
What does the factor that you get when you plug the length contraction and time dilation of a moving object back into the form of meters/second represent?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what factor you're asking about. Can you give a specific example?

petm1 said:
What does the factor that you get when you plug the length contraction and time dilation of a moving object back into the form of meters/second represent?
?? I have no idea what you mean. I think the factor you are talking about is [itex]\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/itex] but I don't know what you mean by "plug back into the form of meters/second".

I think the OP is asking this. You operate on the lengths and times of the traveling frame with some algebraic factor involving [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]. And does that factor have units of its own, and if so how do the transformed lengths and times get back to their own proper units? We ssee their transformed values, but their units should still be lengths like meters and times like seconds shouldn't they?

And the answer to that is that if you look at the expression for gamma, the only dimensionful amounts in it are the speeds v and c. And they only occur as their ratio, so their units are divided out. This means that gamma is a pure number, and no algebraic function of it alone can be anything but a pure number, so the transformed lengths and times have the same units that the rest frame amounts do.

Sorry, I had a small problem, house fire and when that alarm sounds I have to run, I didn't know that I had posted this instead of just previewing it until I read it the next day. Thanks for the effort and I will be more careful in the future.

1. What is the concept of length contraction in the context of the speed of a moving object?

Length contraction refers to the phenomenon where an object's length appears to decrease in the direction of its motion when it is moving at high speeds. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does length contraction affect the measurement of an object's length?

When an object is moving at high speeds, its length appears to be shorter to an observer in motion relative to the object. This means that the measurement of the object's length will be shorter for the moving observer compared to a stationary observer. However, the actual physical length of the object does not change.

3. What is time dilation and how is it related to the speed of a moving object?

Time dilation is a phenomenon where time appears to pass at a slower rate for an object in motion compared to a stationary observer. This is also a consequence of special relativity and is directly related to the speed of the moving object. The faster the object is moving, the more time dilation occurs.

4. Can we observe length contraction and time dilation in everyday life?

Yes, we can observe length contraction and time dilation in everyday life, although the effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds. For example, particles in a particle accelerator experience time dilation and their lifetimes are extended as a result. Additionally, GPS satellites have to account for time dilation in order to accurately provide location information.

5. How does the speed of light play a role in length contraction and time dilation?

The speed of light is a constant in the universe and is the fastest speed at which anything can travel. In special relativity, it is the speed limit for all objects. The principles of length contraction and time dilation are based on the fact that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the perception of time and space can change for observers moving at different speeds, but the speed of light remains constant.