Using propagation delays to my advantage?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 555 timer and a D flip flop to check the period of a square wave input. The timer is triggered by the leading edge of the first square pulse and if a second leading edge is detected or the timer becomes untriggered, a clock signal is sent to the D flip flop. The design relies on the propagation delay of the logic gates in order to ensure that the timer has been high for a certain amount of time before the clock edge is detected. The individual is open to suggestions for alternative ways of achieving the desired result and mentions that the period of the square wave input is only in the ms range. There is also a discussion about the feasibility and reliability of using propagation delays in this circuit.
vsage
Hello,

I am currently using a 555 timer to check the period of a square wave input: The timer is triggered off the leading edge of the first square pulse, and if a second leading edge is detected OR the 555 becomes untriggered then a clock signal will be sent to a D flip flop and its state will change to the value of the output of the 555 timer at the instant the clock changes.

In my design (all 7400 series logic devices btw) I tie the 555 timer output directly to the D of the D flip flop, and the clock is two logic gates away from the 555 timer output but is ultimately controlled by it. In this way, I hope to rely on the fact that there is a propagation delay through the logic gates so that the 555 timer has been high for a little bit of time before a leading clock edge is detected at the clock of the D flip flop.

I stopped short of looking at a schematic of the D flip flop and the logic gates I am using (just AND and OR ones), but is it sound to assume my design would work based on propagation time? I am also open to suggestions on maybe some more classic ways of doing what I am trying to do as stated in my first paragraph. Also, the period of the square wave input is only in the ms range.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not really sure what you are doing. How are you triggering the D flip-flop. Are you timing the D flip-flop with a separate reference clock?

If I remember correctly, the propagation delay of the 7400 series is like 20 to 60 nanoseconds per gate. If you are working with milliseconds, the even the rise time won't be that fast.

It is possible to use propogation delays to make sure logic levels are set before clocking occurs but I can't see what you are trying to achieve or how the circuit achieves based on your description.
Can you give a state diagram?
What ever the solution propogation delays are not an exact science so you will probably need to tweak the circuit. When using propogation delays you need to have all the data sheets for every chip in order to work out the analogue waveform rather than the digital states. If of course you just want a fixed delay stick it through every stage of an inverter chip.
In the dim and distant past I have built oscillators and random number sources based on chip propogation delays so it is feasible to use them to your advantage.

1. What are propagation delays?

Propagation delays refer to the time it takes for a signal to travel from one point to another. In other words, it is the delay in the transmission of information from a source to a destination.

2. How can propagation delays be used to my advantage?

Propagation delays can be used to your advantage by manipulating the timing of signals. By intentionally introducing a delay in the transmission, you can control the order in which the signals arrive at a destination, which can be beneficial in certain applications such as data synchronization and error correction.

3. What factors affect propagation delays?

Propagation delays can be affected by various factors such as the distance between the source and destination, the medium through which the signal is traveling, and the type of signal being transmitted. In general, the longer the distance and the higher the frequency of the signal, the longer the propagation delay will be.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using propagation delays?

While propagation delays can be useful in certain situations, they can also introduce latency in signal transmission. This can be problematic in real-time applications where immediate response is crucial. Additionally, if the delay is not carefully controlled, it can result in signal distortion and errors.

5. How can I determine the appropriate propagation delay to use?

The appropriate propagation delay to use will depend on the specific application and the desired outcome. It is important to carefully calculate and test the delay to ensure it is within an acceptable range and does not negatively impact the performance of the system. Consulting with experts and conducting thorough research can also help determine the appropriate propagation delay to use.