Rotating 2D coordinate geometry/conic sections into 3D - how?

In summary, the conversation discusses rotating conic sections about their axis to create surfaces in 3D space. The equations for these surfaces can be derived by replacing variables in the equations for the original 2D figures with the appropriate functions. The most efficient way to do this is by using parametric equations.
chaoseverlasting
I know basic 2D coordinate geometry/conic sections and some vectors and calculus. What I am trying to find out is, if you rotate a conic about its axis by an angle of pi, you should get a surface in 3D. How would you go about rotating this though?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's say you have an ellipse lying entirely on the x-y plane, symmetrical about the x- and y- axis. (Your typical ellipse.) When you rotate this plane figure about either of those axes (by 2pi) you end up with an ellipsoid. You have to imagine this happening in 3-D space. For something simpler, make that ellipse into a circle; you will end up with a sphere.

What do you mean by "go about rotating this"? If you draw a parabola in the xz-plane with the postive z-axis as axis of symmetry, and rotate about that axis, you get an "elliptic paraboloid" with equation z= x2+ b2. One way to see that is to take the axis perpendicular to the z-axis to be "r", in polar coordinates. That way, z= r2 becomes z= x2+ y[/sup]. (There is also a "hyperbolic paraboloid" but it is not a "surface of revolution".)

Similarly, rotating an ellipse, [itex]b^2r^2+ a^2z^2= a^2b^2[/itex] around the z-axis gives an "ellipsoid" [itex]b^2x^2+ b^2y^3+ a^2z^2= a^2b^2[/itex] or, equivalently, [itex]x^2/a^2+ y^2/a^2+ z^2/b^2= 1[/itex]. You have either a "prolate" or "oblate" ellipsoid depending upon whether the axis of rotation is the major or minor axis respectively. The third possibility is [itex]x^2/a^2+ y^2/b^2+ z^2/c^2= 1[/itex] where a, b, and c are all different but, again, that is not a surface of revolution.

You get distinctly different surfaces if you rotate a hyperbola around its two different axes. Rotating around that passes through the hyperbola, you get a "hyperboloid of two sheets" since the two parts of the hyperbola for two separated surfaces. Now you would have [itex]r^2/a^2- z^2/b^2= x^2/a^2+ y^2/a^2- z^2/b^2= 1[/itex].
If you rotate around the axis that is does NOT go through the hyperbola you get the "hyperbola of one sheet" since the two parts of the hyperbola rotate through the same surface. You would have [itex]z^2/a^2- r^2/b^2= z^2/a^2- x^2/a^2- y^2/a^2= 1[/itex]. Of course, you could have all the variations on [itex]x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2- z^2/c^2= 1[/itex] with different number and placements of the negative signs but with a, b, c all different those are not surfaces of rotation.

I'll leave it to you to decide what figure you get, and what its equation is if rotate a circle around an axis!

Ok. What I meant was, how do you mathematically derive these equations? Like do you take the equation of a hyperbola in the plane z=0, and then trace the same in a plane rotated by an angle [tex]d\theta[/tex] and then integrate the equation from 0 to pi (you would rotate from 0 to pi because there are two arms of the hyperbola) about the transverse axis. Would this work?

For a sphere, I guess you could take a point circle at x=0 (in the yz plane), and then another circle with radius r+dr in the plane a distance dx away from the yz plane and then integrate this from 0 to 2r to get the sphere. Now, all this I can imagine and do in my mind, but to put this down on paper, is what I am having trouble doing. I've never seen anything like this before. I know the equation of the sphere would be of the form [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2+2wx+2uy+2vz+c=0[/tex], and given this equation, I could find the center, radius, and maybe even figure out the equation of the tangent at a point. But, I don't know how this equation came to be. Thats what I'm trying to find out.

Now, I understand I'm trying to trace the surface in space. I don't know how to go about finding the locus of the point I'm trying to trace. The properties of the surface should be valid in all planes, so, if for example, I take the equation of a parabola, and then find the equation of its directrix, find the equation of the plane perpendicular to the axis of the parabola which contains the directrix, then the locus of the point which is always equidistant from the focus of the initial parabola and the plane should be my surface. That would work, right?

Last edited:
No, that won't work! How would you trace this surface?

The easiest way to do it is using parametric equations.

Say you have a curve:
C(t) = <x(t), y(t)>, a <= t <= b

Then to rotate it around the x axis:
S(t) = <x(t), y(t)*cos(theta), y(t)*sin(theta)>, a <= t <= b, 0 <= theta <= 2pi

And to rotate it around the y axis:
S(t) = <x(t)*cos(theta), y(t), x(t)*sin(theta)>, a <= t <= b, 0 <= theta <= 2pi

chaoseverlasting said:
Ok. What I meant was, how do you mathematically derive these equations?

I thought I had just explained that. Take some figure whose equation in the xy-plane would be F(x,y)= 0. (Ellipse, [itex]F(x,y)= x^2/a^2+ y^2/b^2-1=0[/itex]; parabola, [itex]F(x,y)= y- ax^2= 0[/itex]; hyperbola, [itex]F(x,y)= x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2-1= 0[/itex]; etc. but this idea applies to any figure that can be written F(x,y)= 0.) To rotate such a figure around the z-axis, replace y by z and x by r. For an ellipse, for example, you would have [itex]r^2/a^2+ z^2/b^2= 1[/itex]. That gives you the equation in "cylindrical coordinates". To go back to Cartesian coordinates, replace that "r" by [itex]\sqrt(x^2+ y^2)[/itex]. Then you have, for the ellipsoid, [itex]x^2/a^2+ y^2/a^2+ z^2/b^2= 1[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
I thought I had just explained that. Take some figure whose equation in the xy-plane would be F(x,y)= 0. (Ellipse, [itex]F(x,y)= x^2/a^2+ y^2/b^2-1=0[/itex]; parabola, [itex]F(x,y)= y- ax^2= 0[/itex]; hyperbola, [itex]F(x,y)= x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2-1= 0[/itex]; etc. but this idea applies to any figure that can be written F(x,y)= 0.) To rotate such a figure around the z-axis, replace y by z and x by r. For an ellipse, for example, you would have [itex]r^2/a^2+ z^2/b^2= 1[/itex]. That gives you the equation in "cylindrical coordinates". To go back to Cartesian coordinates, replace that "r" by [itex]\sqrt(x^2+ y^2)[/itex]. Then you have, for the ellipsoid, [itex]x^2/a^2+ y^2/a^2+ z^2/b^2= 1[/itex]

Ok, What you're doing here is taking any arbitrary plane perpendicular to the z axis on which you define circles of varying radii. Those radii are also governed by their position on the z-axis (thats what the term [tex]z^2/b^2[/tex] signifies, right?) and then treating this collection of circles as your surface right? I'm sorry I'm being difficult here. Why did you replace [tex] r^2[/tex] by [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex]? Again, I'm sorry I'm asking you so many questions, but please answer them.

1. How can we rotate a 2D coordinate geometry into 3D?

In order to rotate a 2D coordinate geometry into 3D, we use a transformation matrix. This matrix is made up of a combination of rotation, translation, and scaling matrices. By multiplying the original coordinates by this transformation matrix, we can obtain the new coordinates in 3D space.

2. What is the purpose of rotating a 2D coordinate geometry into 3D?

The purpose of rotating a 2D coordinate geometry into 3D is to represent objects or shapes in a three-dimensional space. This allows for a more accurate and realistic representation of objects in computer graphics, engineering, and scientific simulations.

3. How does rotating a 2D coordinate geometry affect the shape?

Rotating a 2D coordinate geometry does not change the shape of the object, but rather its orientation in 3D space. The distances and angles between points on the object remain the same, but the object is now positioned at a different angle in relation to the viewer.

4. Can we rotate any 2D coordinate geometry into 3D?

Yes, any 2D coordinate geometry can be rotated into 3D using a transformation matrix. This includes shapes such as circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

5. Are there any limitations to rotating a 2D coordinate geometry into 3D?

The main limitation to rotating a 2D coordinate geometry into 3D is that the object will only appear in a flat plane. This means that the object cannot be rotated in all directions and may not accurately represent its true position in 3D space. Additionally, the accuracy of the rotation depends on the precision of the transformation matrix used.