Solving Quadric Surfaces: Reducing, Classifying & Sketching

• Thread starter DWill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In this case, you have 4x=y^2-2z^2, which can be rewritten as y^2=4x+2z^2. So x=1/4y^2-1/2z^2. This is a parabolic cylinder, with its axis along the x-axis, and a radius of curvature of 1/2 along the y-axis. It is also a hyperbolic paraboloid.In summary, the given equation can be rewritten as x=1/4y^2-1/2z^2, which represents a parabolic cylinder and a hyperbolic paraboloid with its axis along the x-axis. The cross sections on each plane will be ell
DWill

Homework Statement

Reduce the equation to one of the standard forms, classify the surface, and sketch it:

4x = y^2 - 2z^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what to do for this one because most of the equations I've seen like this involved x^2.

Unrelated to this question: For doing these kinds of problems do you find the cross sections on each plane and then sketch it? For example, if the equation is x^2 + 4y^2 + z^2 = 4, you set one variable at a time to k:

x=k: 4y^2 + z^2 = 4 - k^2
y=k: x^2 + z^2 = 4 - 4k^2
z=k: x^2 + 4y^2 = 4 - k^2

So you can see the cross sections on each plane will be ellipses?

--------------------------------------

2nd problem:

Homework Statement

Find an equation for the surface obtained by rotating the line x = 3y about the x-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a cone about the x-axis, but not sure how to get the exact equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DWill said:
I really don't know what to do for this one because most of the equations I've seen like this involved x^2.

So change the names of the variables.

Look at it this way: The standard form for a parabola is y=ax^2+bx+c. x=ay^2+by+c is also a parabola.

1. What is a quadric surface?

A quadric surface is a three-dimensional shape that is defined by a second-degree algebraic equation. It can take the form of a sphere, cylinder, cone, or paraboloid.

2. How do you reduce a quadric surface?

To reduce a quadric surface, you need to simplify the equation by eliminating any unnecessary terms. This can be done by factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.

3. How do you classify a quadric surface?

A quadric surface can be classified based on its shape and the coefficients in its equation. The shape can be a sphere, cylinder, cone, or paraboloid, while the coefficients determine the specific characteristics of the surface, such as its center and orientation.

4. What is the process for sketching a quadric surface?

To sketch a quadric surface, you first need to reduce and classify it. Then, you can use its equation to plot points and create a rough sketch of the surface. You can also use software such as GeoGebra to create a more accurate and detailed sketch.

5. What are some real-life applications of quadric surfaces?

Quadric surfaces have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. They can be used to model the shape of objects like satellite dishes, mirrors, and lenses. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and in data analysis to fit curves to data points.