Calculating Molecule Speed Ratios in a Gas Mixture

In summary, the question asks for the ratio of the rms speed of oxygen molecules to that of nitrogen molecules in a container filled with a mixture of the two gases. To solve this, the equation (1/2)*m_O*v_O^2=(1/2)*m_N*v_N^2=(3/2)*k*T is used, where m_O and m_N are the molar masses of oxygen and nitrogen respectively, v_O and v_N are the rms speeds of the two gases, k is Boltzmann's constant, and T is the temperature. By manipulating the equation, the ratio of v_O to v_N is solved for, giving a value of 0.935.
L²Cc

Homework Statement

1) A container is filled with a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen. What is the ratio of the rms speed of oxygen molecules to that of a notrigen molecules? (molar mass of oxygen = 32 g/mol; molar mass of nitrogen = 28 g/mol)

2) By what factor does the rms speed of neon molecules increase if their temperature increased by a factor of 4?

Homework Equations

rms= squared, mean, root.

1/2mv²=3/2KT where K = 1.83 x 10^-23 (Boltzmann's constant)
average velocity vectors of molecules = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely clueless as to how to answer this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
(1/2)*m_O*v_O^2=(1/2)*m_N*v_N^2=(3/2)*k*T. Manipulate this to get a ratio of v_O to v_N. I.e. solve for v_O/v_N. Relatively the same approach for 2).

I don't see how you can get rid of the masses and the other variables if they're not constants. The instructions give the molar masses of the gases which are obviously not the same. So, we can't cancel them out when manipulating the equations. May I ask what do you get as an answer?

If I divide one expression by the other I get (m_O/m_N)*(v_O/v_N)^2=1. Does that help you to see where to go?

Oh I see thank you, I got it. 0.935 :).

What is the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases is a scientific model that explains the behavior of gases based on the motion of their molecules.

What are the basic assumptions of the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The basic assumptions of the Kinetic Theory of Gases include that gas molecules are in constant, random motion; they have negligible volume compared to the container they are in; and they do not interact with each other except through collisions.

How does the Kinetic Theory of Gases explain the properties of gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases explains the properties of gases, such as pressure, temperature, and volume, by relating them to the average kinetic energy and speed of the gas molecules.

What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

According to the Kinetic Theory of Gases, temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of gas molecules. As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy and speed of the gas molecules also increase.

What are the limitations of the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases is based on certain assumptions that may not hold true in all situations. It does not account for intermolecular forces, the volume of molecules, or the behavior of gases at very high pressures or low temperatures.