What is the effect of a negative charge on the right hand rule?

In summary, the right hand rule is applied to magnets with positive charges, but for negative charges the opposite direction must be used to get the same direction of force.
grscott_2000
Yesterday I asked a question regarding the right hand rule and Lorentz law. I now understand how the right hand rule is applied but the examples I have looked at all involve a positive charge.

My question is what effect does a negative charge have on the right hand rule?

If for example a positive charge is moving in a positive x direction when it enters a magnetic field and then starts to describe a circle in an anticlockwise direction (in the xy plane), by using the right hand rule I would say that the magnetic field would be in the positive z direction... Would you agree?

Now if a negative charge were to enter the same field and describes the same anticlockwise circle, how do I apply the right hand rule in this situation? Would I simple say, ok for a positive charge the direction of the magnetic field was in the z direction, so for a negative charge, the direction must be in the -z direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
grscott_2000 said:
My question is what effect does a negative charge have on the right hand rule?
The direction of magnetic force on a negative charge will be opposite to that on a positive charge.

If for example a positive charge is moving in a positive x direction when it enters a magnetic field and then starts to describe a circle in an anticlockwise direction (in the xy plane), by using the right hand rule I would say that the magnetic field would be in the positive z direction... Would you agree?
No. Using the right hand rule to compute [itex]\vec{F} = q\vec{v} \times \vec{B}[/itex] for a postive charge moving in the +x direction in a magnetic field in the +z direction I get an initial force in the +y direction--which means clockwise circle. (Viewed from above the x-y plane, where z > 0.)

Now if a negative charge were to enter the same field and describes the same anticlockwise circle, how do I apply the right hand rule in this situation? Would I simple say, ok for a positive charge the direction of the magnetic field was in the z direction, so for a negative charge, the direction must be in the -z direction?
I think you have your directions mixed up in this case, but your idea is correct: To get the same direction of force on a negative charge, the magnetic field must be opposite to what it was for the positive charge.

if u got the direction right, u can say that it is just the opposite for the negative charge.

therefore 2nd answer is -z and 3rd answer is +z

Ok, I think I understand... So if we know any two of either magnetic force, magnetic field or charge, by using the right hand rule we can find the third.

If the charge is positive then that's fine we go with the direction on the right hand, but with a negative charge it is simply the opposite direction to the right hand?

Let me give one more example to see if I've got it...

A negative charged particle enters a magnetic field in the positive x direction and the magnetic field is in the -z direction, the particle would experience a magnetic force in the -y direction and would describe a circle in a clockwise direction?

grscott_2000 said:
If the charge is positive then that's fine we go with the direction on the right hand, but with a negative charge it is simply the opposite direction to the right hand?
Exactly.

Let me give one more example to see if I've got it...

A negative charged particle enters a magnetic field in the positive x direction and the magnetic field is in the -z direction, the particle would experience a magnetic force in the -y direction and would describe a circle in a clockwise direction?
You got it.

Now apply Quantum wave observations to the particle in motion ^^

Tingle, brain! Tingle! >.<

What is a positive charge?

A positive charge is a property of an object that has more protons than electrons. Protons have a positive charge, while electrons have a negative charge. Objects with a positive charge will repel other positively charged objects and attract negatively charged objects.

What is a negative charge?

A negative charge is a property of an object that has more electrons than protons. Electrons have a negative charge, while protons have a positive charge. Objects with a negative charge will repel other negatively charged objects and attract positively charged objects.

How do positive and negative charges interact?

Positive and negative charges interact through the electromagnetic force. Opposite charges will attract each other, while like charges will repel each other. The strength of the interaction depends on the distance between the charges and the amount of charge on each object.

What is the difference between static and current electricity?

Static electricity is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object, while current electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. Static electricity is typically the result of friction, while current electricity is the result of a continuous flow of electrons through a circuit.

What are some real-life applications of positive and negative charges?

Positive and negative charges have many practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include the use of static electricity in photocopiers and printers, the use of current electricity in electronic devices and power grids, and the use of electric charges in medical equipment such as MRI machines. They are also important in understanding weather phenomena such as lightning and in the functioning of the human nervous system.