Calculating Acceleration: Basic Question on F=ma in AP Physics

• Thread starter Oliviam12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma
In summary, the question is about an astronaut of mass 75 kg exerting a force of 180 N on a 1700 kg satellite while performing repair work. The astronaut and satellite have opposite forces of -180 N and 180 N respectively, according to Newton's 3rd law. The question is whether the mass of the objects is relevant in determining their acceleration, and the correct formulas for the acceleration are provided. The expert confirms that the mass is indeed relevant and the formulas are correct.
Oliviam12
I know this is rather basic, but some how I confused myself... The question is:

An astronaut of mass 75 kg performs repair work on the 1700 kg satellite, while floating right next to it. He exerts a force of 180 N on the satellite.
What is his acceleration as a consequence of this, and what is the acceleration
of the satellite?

Ok, I know the force acting on the satellite is 180 N and the force acting on the astronaut is -180 N, because Newtons 3rd law (F=-F)

Now here is my main question. I know to solve I need to Use F=MA for both the astronaut and satellite but, is their mass relevant?

So is it:
Astronaut:
F/M =A
-180/75 =A OR -180/75=A
-2.4 m/(s^2) und =A

Satellite:
180/1700 =A or 180/0= A
.105882 m/s^2 =A und=A

Sorry, for asking such a duh! kind of question but, I am taking AP Physics as an online course and the grading policy is crazy and the teacher and course mat'ls are useless.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, their mass is relevant. The astronaut will move away faster than the satellite will. The formulas for the acceleration that you have are correct.

Thanks, I just needed someone to make sure I wasn't being stupid.

1. What is the equation F=ma?

The equation F=ma is known as Newton's second law of motion. It states that the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration it experiences.

2. How is the equation F=ma used in physics?

The equation F=ma is used to calculate the force required to produce a certain acceleration on an object, or to determine the acceleration of an object when the force acting on it is known. It is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and is used in many areas of physics, including Newtonian mechanics, dynamics, and kinematics.

3. What are the units of measurement for F=ma?

The units of measurement for F=ma are Newtons (N) for force, kilograms (kg) for mass, and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration. In some cases, other units such as pounds (lbs) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) may be used for force and acceleration, respectively.

4. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in the equation F=ma?

The equation F=ma shows that force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to produce a certain acceleration, and the greater the acceleration of an object, the more force is needed to produce it. This relationship is also known as the inertia of an object, where an object's mass resists a change in its motion.

5. Can the equation F=ma be used for objects in motion with changing acceleration?

Yes, the equation F=ma can be used for objects in motion with changing acceleration, as long as the net force and mass of the object are known at each point in time. In this case, the equation can be rewritten as F=mdv/dt, where v is the velocity of the object and dt is the change in time. This form of the equation is often used in dynamics and can be used to analyze the motion of objects with variable acceleration.