Can someone tell me if GP-B has results about GR, one way or the other?

• Thread starter rbj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, the GP-B experiment has encountered unexpected experimental errors that have affected their results. They have been working to model and subtract these errors in order to obtain accurate results. The first published results in April 2007 confirmed the geodesic precession prediction of GR within 1\frac{1}{2}%, but the frame-dragging result was still affected by noise. The full results are expected in May 2008, and an update in December 2017 showed a result that was inconsistent with GR at a 1 \sigma confidence level. However, this was later replaced with a similar result that made no such claim. It is uncertain if GP-B will be able to detect the frame-dragging effect or not
rbj
I just can't figger it out from their website. Does GP-B have results that are either consistent with or not consistent with the geodetic effect or frame dragging or gravitomagnetism? Or is it that the unexpected errors swamped the difference in gyro alignment that would have been apparent if these GR effects were happening to the gyros.

It's been months since April 2007 and years since they collected the data. Has GP-B produced results that confirm or falsify the predicted effects of GR? Or not? Or not yet?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You find this discussed here at length.

Basically there were two unexpected experimental errors that swamped the results. The team have been modelling these errors using two different methods, geometrical and algebraical, in order to be able to subtract them from the data. Having two different methods means they can cross check the results.

The first results published in April 2007 confirmed the GR geodesic precession prediction to within 1[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]%, which was consistent with GR given the remaining error bars on the results. The much smaller frame-dragging result was then still swamped by noise.

The full results are now expected in May 2008 (I think they must be paid by the day :biggrin:).

Very interestingly in the Dec Mission Update there was a very intriguing diagram uploaded that showed the recent detailed results of 85 days worth of data and gave a result that was inconsistent with GR at the 1 [itex]\sigma[/itex] confidence level (68%).

Einstein expectation: -6571 [itex]\pm[/itex] 1 mas
4-gyro result (1 sigma) for 85 days
(12 Dec 04 -- 4 Mar 05) -6632 [itex]\pm[/itex] 43 mas

This has now been replaced by a similar http://einstein.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/highlights/showpic.cgi?name=GR-85-day_result.jpg which makes no such claim!

Are they hiding something? :wink:

We wait for the most accurate results next May with some anticipation!

Garth

Last edited by a moderator:
See also [post=1303301]this old PF post[/post] by myself.

Chris Hillman said:
See also [post=1303301]this old PF post[/post] by myself.

i saw that back then, Chris. i was hoping for news of developments since. it seems to me that because of the unexpected errors, that GP-B might have failed to detect either the presense or absense of frame dragging. maybe they'll be able to rescue the subtle differences out of additive errors that are much bigger, but I'm starting to be less hopeful.

Everyone must wait and see. Science is tricky and these experiments are looking for very small effects, so given the previously unmodeled effects which must be subtracted, it is perhaps not so surprising that analysis is taking so long.

At the April APS conference they were confident that they will be able to remove the unexpected noise in the data and obtain both precessions to an accuracy of [itex]\pm[/itex]1mas.

Initially they had designed the experiment to an accuracy of [itex]\pm[/itex]0.1mas, so they have lost an OOM.

Nevertheless that will confirm, or otherwise, the GR frame dragging prediction to within [itex]\pm[/itex]2% and the geodetic precession to within [itex]\pm[/itex]0.02%.

Garth

What is GP-B?

GP-B stands for Gravity Probe B, a satellite-based experiment launched by NASA in 2004 to test Einstein's theory of general relativity.

How does GP-B test general relativity?

GP-B uses four gyroscopes to measure the frame-dragging effect, which is the warping of spacetime predicted by general relativity.

Has GP-B produced any results about general relativity?

Yes, GP-B has confirmed the frame-dragging effect with an accuracy of 0.28%. This result provides strong evidence for the validity of general relativity.

Are there any conflicting results from GP-B's experiment?

No, GP-B's results have been consistent with the predictions of general relativity. However, there are ongoing studies and experiments to further test and refine our understanding of gravity.

Can GP-B's results be applied to other theories or fields of science?

Yes, the confirmation of general relativity by GP-B has implications for other areas of physics, such as cosmology and quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications, such as improving our understanding of space-time and its effects on satellite navigation systems.