Solved: FeCl3 Limiting Reagent; Excess O2 Remains Unused

• Thread starter UWMpanther
  • Start date
In summary, if 3.00 mol of FeCl3 are ignited in the presence of 2.00 mol of O2 gas, then 2.50 mol of Cl2 will be produced.
UWMpanther
[SOLVED] Last Stoich I swear

Homework Statement

When FeCl3 is ignited in an atmosphere of pure oxygen, this reaction takes place
4FeCl3 + 3O2 -> 2Fe2O3 + 6Cl2

If 3.00 mol of FeCl3 are ignited in the presence of 2.00 mol of O2 gas, how much of which reagent is present in excess and therefore remains unused?

Now I don't know where to go from here. Obviously solve for the limiting reagent. Then I need some type of ratio to solve for how many mol are used :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
So which one is the limiting reagent? Or do you need help on that part as well? We can start from there if you'd like.

I think the limiting reagent is the O2 but I don't know how to caculate it since it is given in mol not g.

UWMpanther said:
I think the limiting reagent is the O2 but I don't know how to caculate it since it is given in mol not g.
It doesn't matter at all. You can use either moles or grams.

Anyways, you're correct about O2 being the LR. It produces only 4.00 mol of Cl2 (Theoretical Yield), while FeCl3 produces 4.50 mol of Cl2.

Ok cool I got that far then when I was just guessing. So I basically went something like this:

since in the equation their relationship is 4FeCl2 to 3O2, I just took the 2O2 x 1.5 so it was equal to the 3.0 mol given. So that put 4FeCl2 to 4.5 mol. But I guess that's all I solved for the LR.

So next step would be, I'm assuming a relationship between the two. Maybe:

4.0 mol O2 x 4mol FeCl3/3mol O2 = 5.33mol FeCl3?

Ok since we only produce 4.00 mol Cl2 with O2, we use this same number and find how much FeCl3 is needed to produce 4.00 mol of Cl2.

So working backwards:

[tex]\mbox{4.00 mol} Cl_2 \times \frac{\mbox{2.00 mol}}{\mbox{3.00 mol}} \frac{FeCl_{2}}{Cl_{2}} = \frac{8}{3}\mbox{mol} FeCl_{3}[/tex]

We started out with 3.00 mol FeCl3, so it's just the difference.

3.00 mol FeCl3 - 8/3 mol FeCl3 = ?

Does the answer make sense?

Last edited:
Ok yeah that makes sense so the difference is .33

Thank you so very much!

1. What is a limiting reagent?

A limiting reagent is the reactant in a chemical reaction that is completely consumed and limits the amount of product that can be formed. In other words, it is the reactant that runs out first and determines the maximum amount of product that can be produced.

2. Why is it important to identify the limiting reagent?

Identifying the limiting reagent is important because it allows us to calculate the maximum amount of product that can be formed in a reaction. This information is crucial for determining the efficiency of a reaction and for planning and optimizing chemical processes.

3. How do we determine the limiting reagent in a chemical reaction?

To determine the limiting reagent, we first need to know the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, we compare the number of moles of each reactant present to the stoichiometric ratio in the balanced equation. The reactant with the smallest ratio is the limiting reagent.

4. What does it mean if excess O2 remains unused in a reaction?

If excess O2 remains unused, it means that there is more O2 present in the reaction than is needed to completely react with the limiting reagent. This could be due to an error in the amount of O2 added or because the reaction did not proceed as expected.

5. How can we prevent excess O2 from remaining unused in a reaction?

To prevent excess O2 from remaining unused, we need to ensure that the amount of O2 added is in the correct stoichiometric ratio with the limiting reagent. This can be achieved by accurately measuring and adding the correct amounts of each reactant, or by using a catalyst to increase the rate of the reaction and ensure that all reactants are consumed.