Velocity with mass and distance given ?

In summary, if an object is launched at a 45 degree angle and only the mass and distance traveled are given, the velocity of the object can be found using the formula S = V^2/g, where g is gravitational acceleration and S is the distance traveled from the original launch point. This formula only applies to a launch at 45 degrees, and it is necessary to find the maximum point of vertical displacement and plug it in for horizontal displacement in order to solve the problem.
iceman99
An object is lanuched at angle of 45 degrees. If I only have mass and distance travled given, how can I find the velocity of the object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Funnily enough you don't even need the mass of the object, assuming only gravity is acting.

A bit of manipulation with the basic laws of motion will give you the formula S = V^2/g where g is gravitational acceleration and S is the distance traveled from the original launch point. That only works for 45 degrees.

Draw the diagram for a projectile launched at 45 degrees and work your way from there. You need to find the maximum point (i.e. when it reaches peak height) for vertical displacement from the ground and then plug that in for horizontal displacement from the origin.

Last edited:
@iceman99 : Show your effort for solving the problem first.

Last edited:
Sorry Sourabh, I will next time I didnt even try to solve the problem; i was just curious. Thank you dst.

Some of my friends made a potato launcher(I didnt think it would work) and I was curius how they found the velocity with displacement and the weight.

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it took for that change to occur. In other words, it is the displacement divided by the time. The standard unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

What is the relationship between mass and velocity?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a larger mass will result in a smaller velocity for the same amount of force applied.

How does distance affect velocity?

The distance an object travels has no effect on its velocity. Velocity only depends on the displacement and time taken to travel that distance. However, the average velocity can be affected by changes in distance, as it is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference frame. For example, if the reference frame is moving to the right, an object moving to the left would have a negative velocity.