Designing a High-Efficiency Boost Converter for 18V Output Voltage

In summary, a boost converter is an electronic circuit that increases the voltage of a DC power source and works by using an inductor and a switch to regulate the output voltage. Its main components include an inductor, a switch, a diode, a capacitor, and a control circuit. Some advantages of using a boost converter include efficient voltage conversion and the ability to provide regulated output voltage even with fluctuating input voltage. Common uses for boost converters include LED lights, battery-powered devices, solar-powered devices, power supplies, and renewable energy systems.
esso
i'm supposed to design a boost converter with the following parameters:
supply voltage = 9-15 v
output voltage = 18 v
output current = 0.1 - 2 amp
voltage ripple = 5%
efficiency = 80 - 98%

i came up with the following: let f= 30 KHz
min C=12.3 uF
min L=375 uH
average supply current = 4 ampi need to know if my calculations are right , and i also need a suggestion about what IC should i use to control the circuit.
thank you for helping

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, just curious but did your design work?

Regards,
Don

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure they are accurate. It is always important to verify your results before proceeding with a design. Additionally, I would suggest researching and comparing different boost converter ICs to find one that best fits your design parameters and requirements. Some popular options for high-efficiency boost converters include the LT3757, LTC3780, and MAX668. It is also important to consider the features and capabilities of each IC, such as input voltage range, output current capability, and efficiency. Ultimately, the best IC for your design will depend on your specific needs and trade-offs.

1. What is a boost converter?

A boost converter is an electronic circuit that is used to increase the voltage of a direct current (DC) power source. It is a type of DC-to-DC converter and is commonly used in electronic devices such as battery-powered devices, solar panels, and power supplies.

2. How does a boost converter work?

A boost converter works by using an inductor and a switch to regulate the output voltage. When the switch is closed, the inductor stores energy from the input source. When the switch is opened, the inductor releases the stored energy, resulting in a higher output voltage than the input voltage.

3. What are the main components of a boost converter?

The main components of a boost converter include an inductor, a switch (usually a transistor), a diode, a capacitor, and a control circuit. The control circuit is responsible for controlling the switching of the transistor to regulate the output voltage.

4. What are the advantages of using a boost converter?

Boost converters offer several advantages, including efficient voltage conversion, small size and weight, and the ability to provide regulated output voltage even when the input voltage fluctuates. They are also relatively inexpensive and can be used in a wide range of applications.

5. What are some common uses for a boost converter?

Boost converters are commonly used in electronic devices that require a higher voltage than the available power source, such as LED lights, battery-powered devices, and solar-powered devices. They are also used in power supplies and in renewable energy systems to increase the voltage from solar panels or wind turbines.