Ok so u have two twins, both have clocks set to zero.

In summary, both twins would see their clocks running slow when they were travelling at close to the speed of light, but if they reset their clocks and took off at the same speed in the opposite direction, their clocks would be off by the same amount.
neh4pres
ok so u have two twins, both have clocks set to zero. One of them takes off at close to the speed of light. That twins clock would run slow. However If the twin were to reset both clocks and take of at the same speed in the opposite direction for the same distance. would the clocks be off by the same amount? The stationary twin can only be stationary compared to another object. So how do we know that he is not flying through spacetime making the two flights time dilate at different rates?

Physics news on Phys.org
neh4pres said:
So how do we know that he is not flying through spacetime making the two flights time dilate at different rates?

Because there is no 'absolute' preferred frame of reference in SR. That is, there is no form of 'absolute' motion. So you have nothing truly at rest to measure local motion against.

I believe that everyone determins his/her coordinate sys stationary and time not delayed... so most likelly 1st twin sees everything that moves (including the other twin slow motion) and just the same 2nd twin sees everything that moves also slow motion

after all if me myself am in my oun coordinate system with my oun light clock I see the light going straight up and straight down so my light ray does travel the shortest possible path

the questions is... is it a satisfactory answere that each twin sees the other growing old slow

in fact is it OK that I see everything that moves growing up slower

neh4pres said:
ok so u have two twins, both have clocks set to zero. One of them takes off at close to the speed of light. That twins clock would run slow. However If the twin were to reset both clocks and take of at the same speed in the opposite direction for the same distance. would the clocks be off by the same amount? The stationary twin can only be stationary compared to another object. So how do we know that he is not flying through spacetime making the two flights time dilate at different rates?

Make it triplets and they are all moving at 0.8c relative to you in the positvie direction. Triplet A maintains constant velocity while triplet B accelerates in the positive direction so that triplet A sees triplet B as going at +0.8c relative to him. Triplet C accelerates in the opposite direction so that triplet A sees triplet C as going at -0.8c relative to him. By your measurements using the relatavistic addition equation, triplet A is moving at 0.8c, triplet B is moving at 0.98c and trilet C has stopped! According to you all the triplets are time dilating at different rates. However, to triplet A it would appear as if both triplets B and C are time dilating at the same rate. Hope that answers your question.

you understood me kev thx

Yec I understand that.
but for me it is a little confusing that B sees C getting old slow. and C sees B getting old slow. when they get back to meet each other?

1. What is the significance of having two twins with clocks set to zero?

The significance of having two twins with clocks set to zero is that it represents a concept in the theory of relativity known as the "twin paradox". This paradox explores the idea that time can pass at different rates for two individuals depending on their relative velocities.

2. How does the twin paradox relate to the theory of relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that illustrates the principles of the theory of relativity, specifically the idea that time is relative and can pass at different rates for individuals in different frames of reference.

3. Why do the twins have clocks set to zero?

In the thought experiment, the twins have clocks set to zero to represent the idea that they are both starting at the same point in time. This allows for a clear comparison of the passage of time between the two twins.

4. What happens to the twins' clocks as they age?

According to the theory of relativity, the twin who travels at a higher velocity will experience time passing slower than the twin who remains stationary. As a result, when they are reunited, the twin who traveled at a higher velocity will have aged less than the stationary twin.

5. Is the twin paradox a proven phenomenon?

While the twin paradox is a well-known thought experiment, there is currently no empirical evidence to support its occurrence in real life. However, the principles it illustrates are fundamental to the theory of relativity and have been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.