Using an accelerometer to measure speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an accelerometer to calculate the speed of a car and the challenges of removing the effects of gravity on the sensor. Various solutions are suggested, such as adding an angular rate sensor or using a frictionless POT, but the desired approach is to only use the available hardware and resolve the vector at a 90 degree angle to gravity.
lucvh
Hi,

I am interested in using an accelerometer to calculate the speed of a car. The accelerometer is a triaxial one and gives 3 values of acceleration; x y and z. These can be assumed to be accurate as i have already worked on the calibration of these values so that they come out in gs. Is there a way to calculate the acceleration of the device independent of its alignment to the motion of acceleration?
For example, the accelerometer would be mounted to the dashboard of the car, but as the car accelerates the rear axle of the car dips and therefore the angle of the vector has changed. This is fine to calculate, if it weren't for gravity. I can't understand how to remove the acceleration due to gravity when the exact alignment of the sensor is un known. Does anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need that angle. Try adding an angular rate sensor and integrating to find the angle. Then you can remove the acceleration due to gravity and integrate to find the velocity. http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/778386516ADXRS150_B.pdf They are about $50 on digikey. However, I know you can find them cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could find the angle by having a frictionless POT and using an ADC. I'm not sure a close enough to frictionless POT exists.

The idea was to only use the available hardware. Is there no way to do it knowing that the vector i need to resolve it into is at 90 degrees to the acceleration of gravity?

1. How does an accelerometer measure speed?

An accelerometer measures speed by detecting changes in acceleration, which is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. This is done by using a sensor that measures the forces acting on an object in different directions.

2. What units are used to measure speed with an accelerometer?

Speed can be measured using an accelerometer in various units, including meters per second squared (m/s²), miles per hour (mph), or kilometers per hour (km/h), depending on the settings and calibration of the accelerometer.

3. Can an accelerometer accurately measure speed in any direction?

Yes, an accelerometer can accurately measure speed in any direction as long as it is properly calibrated. It is designed to measure acceleration, which can occur in any direction.

4. How does an accelerometer compensate for external factors that may affect the measurement of speed?

Accelerometers can be calibrated to compensate for external factors such as gravity, vibration, and temperature changes. This is done by adjusting the sensitivity and range of the accelerometer to minimize the impact of these factors on the speed measurement.

5. Are there any limitations to using an accelerometer to measure speed?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using an accelerometer to measure speed. For example, it may not be as accurate at measuring high speeds and may be affected by external factors such as magnetic interference. Additionally, the placement and orientation of the accelerometer can also affect its accuracy.