Example from book: continuum mechanics for engineers 2 edition

In summary, continuum mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of continuous materials under external forces. The second edition of "Continuum Mechanics for Engineers" includes updated and expanded content, making it a comprehensive resource for engineers. The target audience for this book is primarily engineers and engineering students, but it can also be useful for researchers and professionals in related fields. Some real-world applications of continuum mechanics include design and analysis of structures and machines, fluid flow and heat transfer in industrial processes, and modeling of biological systems. While some background in mechanics is helpful, this book is written in a clear and accessible manner and can be understood by both beginners and those with prior knowledge.
maros522
example 3.30:
Let the stress tensor components σij be derivable from the symmetric
tensor field φij by the equation σij = εiqkεjpmφkm,qp. Show that, in the
absence of body forces, the equilibrium equations are satisfied.

I don't have any idea have to solve this problem. Can someone help me?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for bad placed post.
After some time I solve this example. Use the determinant and kronecker delta. After this I found that εiqkεjpm = 0.

1. What is continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of continuous materials, such as solids and fluids, under the action of external forces. It deals with the macroscopic properties of materials and their response to various types of loads.

2. What is the difference between the first and second editions of "Continuum Mechanics for Engineers"?

The second edition of "Continuum Mechanics for Engineers" includes updated and expanded content, as well as new examples and problems. It also incorporates recent developments and advances in the field of continuum mechanics, making it a more comprehensive and up-to-date resource for engineers.

3. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at engineers and engineering students who need to understand the fundamental principles and applications of continuum mechanics. It can also be useful for researchers and professionals in related fields, such as materials science and mechanical engineering.

4. What are some real-world applications of continuum mechanics?

Some common applications of continuum mechanics include the design and analysis of structures and machines, fluid flow and heat transfer in industrial processes, and the modeling of biological systems. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as nanotechnology and biomimetics.

5. Is prior knowledge of mechanics required to understand this book?

While some background in mechanics is helpful, this book is written in a clear and accessible manner and does not assume prior knowledge of the subject. It provides a thorough introduction to continuum mechanics and gradually builds upon concepts and principles, making it suitable for both beginners and those with some background in mechanics.