Comparing sound waves to waves in a Coaxial Cable aka T.E.M.

In summary, the question is asking to compare sound waves to TEM waves in coaxial cables. The "T" in "TEM" stands for transverse, which is different than a sound wave in a fluid like air. The coaxial cable does not have air trapped between the inner and outer conductor, so it is not relevant to the comparison.
heymistergq

Homework Statement

Compare sound waves to waves in coaxial cables a.k.a. T.E.M.

I really have no idea how to answer this question. I've been researching and researching, and so far i can't find any information about WAVES for coaxial cables. Any help?

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with:

What does the "T" in "TEM" stand for? For that matter, the "EM" is another difference.

turin said:
Let's start with:

What does the "T" in "TEM" stand for? For that matter, the "EM" is another difference.

The T means Transverse am i correct?

heymistergq said:
The T means Transverse am i correct?
Yes. Can you think of a reason why this is different than a sound wave? Well, actually, that is a little bit more complicated, but I don't want to confuse you. Let's just assume sound in a fluid, like air.

turin said:
Yes. Can you think of a reason why this is different than a sound wave? Well, actually, that is a little bit more complicated, but I don't want to confuse you. Let's just assume sound in a fluid, like air.

I know that air is trapped between the inner and outer conductor, but what i don't know is how their waves are different... I might not be descriptive enough, let me know if I am not.

heymistergq said:
I know that air is trapped between the inner and outer conductor, ...
No, it's not. (at least, not for a good quality one.) Probably, they are asking about a sound wave in the air (not in the coax), and then to compare this to the kinds of wave in a coax that are TEM.

1. How do sound waves compare to waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M)?

Sound waves and waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M) are both types of mechanical waves, meaning they require a medium to travel through. However, sound waves are longitudinal waves, which means they travel in a back-and-forth motion parallel to the direction of the wave. Waves in a Coaxial Cable are transverse electromagnetic (T.E.M) waves, which means they travel perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

2. Which type of wave is faster, sound waves or waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M)?

Waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M) are much faster than sound waves. The speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second, while the speed of waves in a Coaxial Cable can approach the speed of light, which is 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. Can you hear waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M) like you can hear sound waves?

No, you cannot hear waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M) like you can hear sound waves. Sound waves require a medium, such as air, to travel through in order to be heard. Waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M) travel through the cable and cannot be heard by the human ear.

4. How are sound waves and waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M) used in everyday life?

Sound waves are used in everyday life for communication, such as speaking and listening, as well as for entertainment, such as listening to music. Waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M) are used for transmitting data, such as internet and television signals, and are also used in medical imaging technology.

5. Are there any similarities between sound waves and waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M)?

Yes, there are some similarities between sound waves and waves in a Coaxial Cable (T.E.M). Both types of waves can be described using similar principles, such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. They also both exhibit properties of reflection, refraction, and diffraction. However, they have different properties and behave differently due to their different types (longitudinal vs transverse) and mediums (air vs cable) of propagation.