How does Doppler broadening affect the Zeeman effect on sodium spectrum?

In summary, Johan is using a Fabry-Perot etalong and a sodium lamp to observe the Zeeman effect on the two yellow lines in the sodium spectrum. When the magnetic field is not applied, only the expected fine structure rings are seen. However, after some time, one or both of the rings split up. Johan suspected that heat was causing this and increased the voltage of the lamp, resulting in the rings smudging out and a dark spot appearing in the middle. This is explained by doppler broadening and absorption by the sodium gas. This is confirmed by overlapping images from a cool and hot lamp. The chief cause of line broadening is pressure or collision broadening, and the dark line is actually absorption from cooler gas
hadoque
Hi
I'm looking at the structure of the Zeeman effect on the two yellow lines in the sodium spectrum. I'm using a Fabry-Perot etalong and a sodium lamp.
The thing is, when I have just started the lamp, and don't have a magnetic field applied, i only see the two rings expected from the fine structure. After a while, one or both of the rings split up.
I suspected that heat had something to do with this, and turned up the voltage of the lamp. After a minute or two the rings had totally smudged out almost to a continuum, but with a dark spot in the middle.
My explenation to this is that doppler broadening is causing the smudging, and that the dark spot now is caused by absorption of the same sodium gas. I overlapped the images from a cool lamp and a hot one, and it looks like the dark spots of the hot spectrum is at the same place as the bright spot of the cool spectrum.
Is this explanation correct?

Attachments

• overlap.jpg
    overlap.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
The chief cause of line broadening, and the one responsible in high pressure sodium lighting, is pressure or collision broadening. At high enough pressure, the time between collisions among the atoms is much shorter than the emission lifetime. The result is a broadening of the spectrum.

You're correct that the dark line is absorption by sodium, actually from the cooler gas surrounding the higher temperature gas taking part in the electric discharge.

EDIT: check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_vapor_lamp
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance_broadening#Spectral_line_broadening_and_shift

Ok, thanks a lot for the information/confirmation.

/Johan

What is Doppler broadening of sodium?

Doppler broadening of sodium is a phenomenon that occurs when the spectral lines of sodium atoms are broadened due to the random thermal motions of the atoms. This results in a broadening of the absorption or emission lines, making them appear wider than they would be at rest.

How does Doppler broadening of sodium occur?

Doppler broadening of sodium occurs due to the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency of a wave when the source or observer is in motion. In the case of sodium atoms, the thermal motion causes the atoms to move towards or away from the observer, resulting in a shift in the frequency of the emitted or absorbed light.

What are the factors that affect Doppler broadening of sodium?

The main factors that affect Doppler broadening of sodium are the temperature of the atoms and the wavelength of the light being emitted or absorbed. As the temperature increases, the thermal motion of the atoms also increases, resulting in a greater Doppler broadening effect. Similarly, longer wavelengths of light experience more broadening compared to shorter wavelengths.

What is the importance of studying Doppler broadening of sodium?

Studying Doppler broadening of sodium is important for various reasons. It helps us understand the behavior of atoms at high temperatures, such as in stars or plasma. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, where it can be used to determine the temperature and velocity of celestial objects.

How is Doppler broadening of sodium measured and analyzed?

Doppler broadening of sodium can be measured and analyzed using spectroscopy techniques. By measuring the broadening of the spectral lines, the temperature and velocity of the atoms can be determined. Additionally, computer simulations and mathematical models can also be used to analyze the data and make predictions about the behavior of sodium atoms at different temperatures and wavelengths.