Is it too late for a career in physics at 33?

• Thread starter mrincognito76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the speaker is 33 years old and is wondering if it is too late for them to pursue a PhD in physics. They are considering finishing their bachelor's degree in 3 years and then attending graduate school, but are also open to just getting a master's degree to be able to have conversations with other physicists. They are seeking feedback and have been directed to some online resources for more information.
mrincognito76
Hello,

I just recently re-discovered my passion for physics. My question is, is it too late for me? I am just turning 33. Conceivably I could finish my b.s. in 3 years, and then would want to go on to graduate school. I would like a PhD, but I am starting to get the feeling that I would be happy with a masters, just so I can have conversations with other physicists?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.

1. What is the minimum age to become a physicist?

There is no minimum age requirement to become a physicist. Many people start their journey in physics as early as high school, but it is never too late to pursue a career in this field.

2. Do I need a specific educational background to become a physicist?

While a strong foundation in math and science is important, it is not necessary to have a specific educational background to become a physicist. Many physicists come from diverse educational backgrounds such as engineering, computer science, or even music.

3. Can I become a physicist if I didn't major in physics during my undergraduate studies?

Absolutely. Many physicists have undergraduate degrees in different fields and then pursue a graduate degree in physics. You may need to take some additional courses to catch up on physics knowledge, but it is definitely possible to become a physicist without an undergraduate degree in the field.

4. How long does it take to become a physicist?

The time it takes to become a physicist can vary depending on the individual's educational path and career goals. Generally, it takes 4 years to complete a bachelor's degree in physics, 2-3 years for a master's degree, and an additional 3-6 years for a PhD. However, some people may choose to enter the field with a bachelor's or master's degree, while others may pursue post-doctoral research positions for several years before obtaining a permanent position.

5. Is it too late to make a significant impact in the field of physics?

No, it is never too late to make a significant impact in the field of physics. Many groundbreaking discoveries and advancements have been made by physicists at various stages in their careers. As long as you have a passion for the subject and the dedication to pursue it, you can make a difference in the field of physics at any age.