Rotation of a Ridgid Body (two masses suspended from a pulley)

In summary: Hope that helps!In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a rope and a pulley with a mass and diameter. There is also friction at the axle of the pulley. The goal is to find how long it takes for one of the blocks to reach the floor when released from rest. To solve this problem, equations for tension, torque, and acceleration are used to determine the acceleration of the blocks and then the time it takes for one to reach the floor. A common mistake is not multiplying all terms in equations with the correct values.
Gotejjeken

Homework Statement

The two blocks in the figure are connected by a massless rope that passes over a pulley. The pulley is 12 cm in diameter and has a mass of 2.0 kg. As the pulley turns, friction at the axle exerts a torque of magnitude 0.55 N * m.

12.P70.jpg

If the blocks are released from rest, how long does it take the 4.0 kg block to reach the floor?

Homework Equations

Taking mass 1 (m1) to be on the left, and mass 2 (m2) to be on the right:

m1 = 4.0 kg
m2 = 2.0 kg
r = 0.06 m
Mp = 2.0 kg
f = 0.55 N * m

a(m2) = -a(m1)
T1 = m1 * a(m1) + m1 * g (T1 = Tension on mass 1)
T2 = m2 * g - m2 * a(m1) (T2 = Tension on mass 2)

Net Torque = T1 * r - T2 * r - f
alpha = Net Torque / I
I = 1/2 * Mp * r^2 (where Mp = Mass of Pulley)

a(m1) = -alpha * r (negative acceleration and positive rotation)

y = 1/2 * a * (delta)t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations I get:

Code:
 alpha =  2*r(T1 - T2) - f 
         ------------------
              Mp * r^2

Substituting that alpha into the a(m1) = -alpha * r equation and then solving for a(m1), I get a(m1) = -2.14 m/s^2. Then substituting this value for acceleration into the above kinematic equation and solving for time, I get the time to be 0.97s, which is wrong.

I'm not sure if my issue is just an issue of messing up the signs, or if I am approaching the problem wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gotejjeken,

Gotejjeken said:

Homework Statement

The two blocks in the figure are connected by a massless rope that passes over a pulley. The pulley is 12 cm in diameter and has a mass of 2.0 kg. As the pulley turns, friction at the axle exerts a torque of magnitude 0.55 N * m.

12.P70.jpg

If the blocks are released from rest, how long does it take the 4.0 kg block to reach the floor?

Homework Equations

Taking mass 1 (m1) to be on the left, and mass 2 (m2) to be on the right:

m1 = 4.0 kg
m2 = 2.0 kg
r = 0.06 m
Mp = 2.0 kg
f = 0.55 N * m

a(m2) = -a(m1)
T1 = m1 * a(m1) + m1 * g (T1 = Tension on mass 1)
T2 = m2 * g - m2 * a(m1) (T2 = Tension on mass 2)

Net Torque = T1 * r - T2 * r - f
alpha = Net Torque / I
I = 1/2 * Mp * r^2 (where Mp = Mass of Pulley)

a(m1) = -alpha * r (negative acceleration and positive rotation)

y = 1/2 * a * (delta)t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations I get:

Code:
 alpha =  2*r(T1 - T2) - f 
         ------------------
              Mp * r^2

This might just be a typo, but here the 2 should multiply the entire numerator, not just the r(T1-T2) part.
Substituting that alpha into the a(m1) = -alpha * r equation and then solving for a(m1), I get a(m1) = -2.14 m/s^2.

It's difficult to tell (since you haven't show what numbers you used) but I believe in your calculation you are using 12cm as the radius, instead of 6cm. Is that what went wrong?

Then substituting this value for acceleration into the above kinematic equation and solving for time, I get the time to be 0.97s, which is wrong.

I'm not sure if my issue is just an issue of messing up the signs, or if I am approaching the problem wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh man, not multiplying all the way through with the 2 was the problem. Thanks, I'm not sure I would have caught that and would most likely be pulling my hair out right now...sometimes it just takes an extra set of eyes =).

I am doing a very similar problem right now, and I don't understand how you were able to determine what T1 or T2 were equal to.

It's been a while, but looking at my old notes I had (these are free body diagram equations):

Mass1:

(Fnet)y: T1 - m1*g = m1*a(m1)y

Mass2:

(Fnet)y: T2- m2*g = m2*a(m2)y

Then just solved those for T1 and T2 respectively. After that it looks like an application of the torque equations and then putting everything together to get that final equation above and getting acceleration / falling time from there.

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object in physics that maintains its shape and size despite external forces acting upon it.

2. How does the rotation of a rigid body occur?

The rotation of a rigid body occurs when there is a force applied to one part of the object causing it to pivot around a fixed point, also known as the axis of rotation.

3. What is a pulley and how does it affect the rotation of a rigid body?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference. It allows for the transfer of force and motion between two objects. In the case of a rigid body, the pulley acts as the axis of rotation, causing the two masses to rotate around it.

4. Can the rotation of a rigid body be predicted?

Yes, the rotation of a rigid body can be predicted using principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of angular momentum.

5. How is the rotation of a rigid body affected by the masses suspended from the pulley?

The rotation of a rigid body is affected by the masses suspended from the pulley as they create a torque, or rotational force, on the object. The larger the masses, the greater the torque and the faster the rotation of the rigid body.