Studying abroad , and studying engineering , different topics covered for the same

In summary: I studied abroad in mathematics, and I was able to transfer all my credits except my language course. The math department directly transferred the courses that my university offered, and used special topics courses to transfer the rest. The language course wasn't transferred because my university didn't offer the language I took, but it's a pity that the English and foreign language department at my school (indirectly) doesn't encourage study abroad. You think they would, but they offered nothing to help get the course transferred.
land_of_ice
for the same degree:

Has anyone ever studied abroad? In 'Studying Abroad for Dummies', (the book) it says that if you study abroad that you may not get transferable credit for your classes, because the educational system (requirements and such) is different in the UK than it would be in the US.

The book claims that when you study abroad in the UK for example, you will be taught different things.

What is different about an engineering degree in the UK vs. anywhere else?

Physics news on Phys.org

I studied abroad in mathematics, and I was able to transfer all my credits except my language course. The math department directly transferred the courses that my university offered, and used special topics courses to transfer the rest. The language course wasn't transferred because my university didn't offer the language I took, but it's a pity that the English and foreign language department at my school (indirectly) doesn't encourage study abroad. You think they would, but they offered nothing to help get the course transferred.

I guess the advice you should take from this is to ask your department what they will transfer and what they won't, and if you don't know them personally, it would be best to get it in writing before you leave.

n!kofeyn said:
I studied abroad in mathematics, and I was able to transfer all my credits except my language course. The math department directly transferred the courses that my university offered, and used special topics courses to transfer the rest. The language course wasn't transferred because my university didn't offer the language I took, but it's a pity that the English and foreign language department at my school (indirectly) doesn't encourage study abroad. You think they would, but they offered nothing to help get the course transferred.

I guess the advice you should take from this is to ask your department what they will transfer and what they won't, and if you don't know them personally, it would be best to get it in writing before you leave.

Hey there, Just curious; where did you study abroad and where did you travel from origionally?

1. What are the benefits of studying abroad?

Studying abroad allows students to gain a global perspective, improve language skills, immerse themselves in a new culture, build independence and self-confidence, and develop valuable cross-cultural communication skills.

2. How can studying engineering abroad enhance my education?

Studying engineering abroad can provide students with a unique and diverse educational experience, exposure to different engineering methods and techniques, the opportunity to work with international teams, and a chance to learn from renowned professors and engineers from around the world.

3. What are some popular destinations for studying engineering abroad?

Popular destinations for studying engineering abroad include the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, and Japan. However, there are many other countries with top-ranked engineering programs that may also be worth considering.

4. How can I finance my studies abroad?

There are various options for financing your studies abroad, such as scholarships, grants, loans, and part-time jobs. It is important to research and plan ahead to determine the best option for your individual situation.

5. Are there any challenges I should be aware of when studying abroad?

Studying abroad may come with challenges, such as culture shock, homesickness, language barriers, and adjusting to a new educational system. However, these challenges can also lead to personal growth and development, and many universities offer support services for international students to help them navigate these challenges.