Oblique Shock Angle Calculation

In summary, the author is trying to calculate the lift and drag on a supersonic airfoil using only the angle of attack, mach number, and geometry of the airfoil. They are getting stuck on the oblique shock angle calculation because they cannot find an equation that is solved for the shock angle (beta). They have found an equation in a book, but they do not have the symbolic math toolbox for MATLAB, so they used Maple to solve for beta and got a ridiculously long result. Finally, the author asks for help and suggests that someone send him a copy of the symbolic math toolbox for MATLAB.
Freyster98
I'm trying to write a MATLAB .m-file that will calculate the lift and drag on a supersonic airfoil using only the angle of attack, mach number, and geometry of the airfoil. I'm getting stuck on the oblique shock angle calculation because I cannot find an equation that is solved for the shock angle (beta). Does anyone know what equation I can use for this? Other than that, I think I'm all set. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
rugabug said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/7/b/27b8202d60430e48b08cf5b6498c1097.png
You can use MATLAB to solve for beta or if I remember when I get home I have the equation for beta in a textbook.

I have that equation, but I just found out I don't have the symbolic math toolbox for MATLAB and that's why I couldn't solve the equation for beta. I used Maple to solve for beta and got a ridiculously long result.

Freyster98 said:
I have that equation, but I just found out I don't have the symbolic math toolbox for MATLAB and that's why I couldn't solve the equation for beta. I used Maple to solve for beta and got a ridiculously long result.
The equation in my book is ridiculously long. They actually split it into 3 equations.

man u need to make an iteration using MATLAB i did it before and this is a code for it

Attachments

• theta_beta_M.m
    325 bytes · Views: 754
Or just use the freaking fsolve or solve commands to do it numerically, since I assume that is what you are supposed to do anyway.

Freyster98 said:

Symbolic Math Toolbox! That is really something i desire very much i wonder why they did not put the inverse laplace transform capability on MATLAB...

Use maple its just great

Maple is craptastic. Mathematica is a nicer package IMO.

Freyster98 said:
I'm trying to write a MATLAB .m-file that will calculate the lift and drag on a supersonic airfoil using only the angle of attack, mach number, and geometry of the airfoil. I'm getting stuck on the oblique shock angle calculation because I cannot find an equation that is solved for the shock angle (beta). Does anyone know what equation I can use for this? Other than that, I think I'm all set. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i need this your program.can you help me? if it possible for you please send that to me.thanks
mhd.hadipour@yahoo.com

What is an oblique shock angle?

An oblique shock angle is the angle at which a shock wave forms when an object moves at a supersonic speed. It is the angle between the shock wave and the direction of the object's motion.

How is the oblique shock angle calculated?

The oblique shock angle can be calculated using the Prandtl-Meyer equation, which takes into account the Mach number and the ratio of specific heats of the gas. It can also be calculated using empirical relationships or through computational methods.

What factors affect the oblique shock angle?

The oblique shock angle is affected by the Mach number, the angle of the object's motion, and the gas properties, such as the specific heat ratio. It is also influenced by the shape and size of the object.

Why is the oblique shock angle important?

The oblique shock angle is important in supersonic aerodynamics as it determines the strength and location of the shock wave, which can impact the performance and stability of an object. It is also important in understanding and analyzing supersonic flow phenomena.

What are some applications of oblique shock angle calculations?

Oblique shock angle calculations are used in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, gas dynamics, and high-speed aerodynamics. They are applied in the design and analysis of supersonic vehicles, propulsion systems, and airfoils. They are also used in the study of supersonic combustion and hypersonic flow.