Finding a solution to Maxwell's equations from initial datas

So you'll have to evaluate the integral using the bounds and the initial condition.In summary, we are trying to find E(\vec x , t) given that B(\vec x ,t) is a solution to Maxwell's equations in vacuum and that E(\vec x ,0)=E_0. By integrating the 3rd equation with respect to time and using the initial condition, we can find that E(\vec x, t) = -c \int_{0}^{t} \vec \nabla \times \vec B (\vec x, \tau) d\tau, where \tau is the integration variable.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose we know that [tex]B(\vec x ,t)[/tex] is a solution to Maxwell's equations in vacuum and furthermore we know that [tex]E(\vec x , 0)=E_0[/tex].
How do we find [tex]E(\vec x , t)[/tex]?

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla \cdot E = 0[/tex].
[tex]\nabla \cdot B =0[/tex].
[tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec B = \left ( \frac{-1}{c} \right ) \cdot \frac{\partial E}{\partial t}[/tex]
[tex] \vec \nabla \times \vec E = \left ( \frac{1}{c} \right ) \cdot \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}[/tex].
I'm using Gaussian's units.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I could work with the 2 lasts equations I posted to find E but I don't reach anything. I'd like a very small guidance like if I'm in the right direction + a hint if possible.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about integrating the 3rd equation with respect to time.

nickjer said:
Think about integrating the 3rd equation with respect to time.

Thanks for the tip.
I reach [tex]\vec E=-c \int \vec \nabla \times \vec B dt[/tex]. I think of using the initial condition. So [tex]E_0=-c\int \vec \nabla \times \vec B (\vec x ,0) dt[/tex].
I'm stuck here.

The integral will have bounds.

I would suggest approaching this problem by first reviewing the fundamental principles of Maxwell's equations and their solutions. It is important to understand the physical meaning of each equation and how they relate to each other.

From the given information, we know that B(\vec x ,t) is a solution to Maxwell's equations in vacuum, which means it satisfies all four equations simultaneously. We also know that E(\vec x , 0)=E_0, which gives us the initial condition for the electric field at time t=0.

To find E(\vec x , t), we can start by considering the equation \vec \nabla \times \vec E = \left ( \frac{1}{c} \right ) \cdot \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}. This equation relates the time derivative of the magnetic field to the curl of the electric field. Since we know the solution for B(\vec x ,t), we can use this equation to find the time evolution of E(\vec x , t).

Next, we can use the equation \nabla \cdot E = 0 to determine the divergence of the electric field. This equation tells us that the electric field must have zero divergence in vacuum.

Using these two equations, we can work towards finding the solution for E(\vec x , t). It may also be helpful to consider the physical meaning of the electric field and how it relates to the magnetic field in terms of electromagnetic waves.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully review the equations and their physical interpretations, and then systematically apply them to find the solution for E(\vec x , t). It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or resources for additional guidance and support.

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are the fundamental equations of classical electromagnetic theory.

2. Why is finding a solution to Maxwell's equations important?

Finding a solution to Maxwell's equations is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which are essential for many technologies such as electricity, magnetism, radio waves, and light.

3. What is meant by "initial data" in the context of Maxwell's equations?

"Initial data" refers to the values of electric and magnetic fields at a specific point in space and time. These initial values are used as a starting point to solve Maxwell's equations and determine the behavior of electromagnetic fields at other points in space and time.

4. How do scientists find a solution to Maxwell's equations from initial data?

Scientists use mathematical techniques, such as differential equations and vector calculus, to solve Maxwell's equations. They also use computer simulations and numerical methods to solve complex problems involving electromagnetic fields.

5. What are some practical applications of solving Maxwell's equations?

Solving Maxwell's equations has many practical applications, including the design and optimization of electronic circuits, antennas, and communication systems. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, which is crucial in fields such as medical imaging, remote sensing, and astronomy.