How much Does where you got you grad degree Matter

In summary, the speaker is a biomedical engineering student who has applied to graduate school and is considering Louisiana Tech and Penn State. They are concerned about the reputation of the school affecting their chances of employment in the future and are interested in hearing others' experiences on this issue. The speaker is primarily interested in the BioMEMS field and is open to both academia and industry.
HappMatt
So I am graduating with a undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering and would like to pursue MEMS/NEMS. I have applied to grad school and got into one which is ranked around 100 in the nation( Louisiana Tech) and am accepted to PennState if i can find some one to RA for. I know in academia reputation is everything and thus I would like to go to Penn but that going to be tuff to find a RA position. I'm in at LaTech but am worried that once I get a PhD there my chances of employment my be significantly reduced due to them not being the big name that some one like Penn would be. So I am wandering what experiences others have had or seen out there that relate to this issue.

Thanks
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
HappMatt said:
. I know in academia reputation is everything and thus I would like to go to Penn but that going to be tuff to find a RA position.

How much reputation matter depends on the field. In astrophysics the reputation of the school doesn't mean a whole lot, but the reputation of the advisor does. Things are different in other fields.

I'm in at LaTech but am worried that once I get a PhD there my chances of employment my be significantly reduced due to them not being the big name that some one like Penn would be.

Employment at what? Your chances at getting a position in academia are low enough so that this shouldn't be a major concern. Most industry companies don't care much about reputation of the school when it comes to Ph.D.'s.

However, some schools are better at placing alumni not because of reputation, but because the school has better career services and marketing.

thanks, I'm basically interested in BioMEMS field and while I am interested in academia, odds are I will go to industry so that's good to know.

1. How does the reputation of the university affect the value of a graduate degree?

The reputation of the university where you obtained your graduate degree can play a role in how your degree is perceived by potential employers. A highly reputable university may give your degree more credibility and make you stand out among other candidates. However, it is not the only determining factor in the value of your degree.

2. Does the location of the university matter in terms of the value of a graduate degree?

The location of the university may play a role in the value of your graduate degree, but it is not the most important factor. Employers may be more familiar with universities in certain regions or countries, but ultimately, the quality of your education and skills gained from your degree are what matter most.

3. How important is the ranking of the university in terms of the value of a graduate degree?

The ranking of the university may have some influence on the perceived value of your graduate degree, but it is not the only factor. It is important to consider the specific program and department within the university, as well as the reputation of the faculty and the resources available to students.

4. Can a graduate degree from a lesser-known university still hold value?

Yes, a graduate degree from a lesser-known university can still hold value. It is important to research the program and department, as well as the faculty and resources available, to ensure a high-quality education. Additionally, gaining experience and skills through internships, research projects, and other opportunities can also increase the value of your degree.

5. How much weight do employers give to the university where a candidate obtained their graduate degree?

The weight given to the university where a candidate obtained their graduate degree may vary among employers. Some may place a strong emphasis on the reputation and ranking of the university, while others may prioritize the skills and experience gained from the degree. It is important to highlight both the university and the skills acquired during your education when applying for jobs.