Converting Elastic Collision to Inelastic

In summary: I'm not really following your question. :)In summary, if two masses are traveling towards each other at the same speed, an explosion can be used to convert the collision from elastic to inelastic. This would result in the same momentum as a inelastic collision, but with less impact.
Billy Berakus
Hi,

If I have two 1 kg masses that are going to hit each other. Mass A is traveling at 10 ms and Mass B is at rest but I wish to cause for an Inelastic Collision. How do I achieve this?

As best I can make of it, I would require a buffer between mass A & B... and I would expect this buffer could be a small explosion that would be less or equal momentum to that of mass A before it hits B.

Am I correct in saying this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Billy! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Billy Berakus said:
If I have two 1 kg masses that are going to hit each other. Mass A is traveling at 10 ms and Mass B is at rest but I wish to cause for an Inelastic Collision. How do I achieve this?

Glue. :smile:

(a purely inelastic collision is where the two objects have the same final velocity)

Glue is good - for a lot of things!

But let say I am not able to use glue only an explosion.

So based on the definition of an inelastic collision, in creating a small explosion that allows the two masses to meet and now travel at the same velocity as opposed to bouncing off each other would be an inelastic collision?

So the explosion pushes off mass A & B in opposite directions, slowing mass A to the same speed as mass B.

I believe the end result would be the same momentum of an inelastic collision plus the force of the explosion? (or is the force of the explosion simply nullified?)

There is some "reactive armor" which lessens the net-impact of an incoming projectile.
But, this is not simple, doesn't work the way you might think, is very expensive, and classified.

Hi Billy! :smile:
Billy Berakus said:
So based on the definition of an inelastic collision, in creating a small explosion that allows the two masses to meet and now travel at the same velocity as opposed to bouncing off each other would be an inelastic collision?

So the explosion pushes off mass A & B in opposite directions, slowing mass A to the same speed as mass B.

I believe the end result would be the same momentum of an inelastic collision plus the force of the explosion? (or is the force of the explosion simply nullified?)

I'm mystified as to why you're trying to do this. :confused:

An explosion would completely change the collision.

And mometum is conserved in every collision (and explosion) anyway, whether elastic, partially inelastic, or completely inelastic.

tiny-tim said:
An explosion would completely change the collision.
QUOTE]

That's ONE of the key points. That's simple. Lateral ablation, however, is not.

If you would like we could think of the explosion as a loaded spring that pushes at the exact moment that A hits B. The power of the spring is set to exact amount of force required to push B forward and slow A to the speed of B.

I am just trying to understand in my mind how one could convert a collision from elastic to inelastic without the use of glue, magnets or any other medium that simply connects the two masses.

I do appreciate your help on this!

Last edited:
You said...

"And mometum is conserved in every collision (and explosion) anyway, whether elastic, partially inelastic, or completely inelastic."

This is correct but in an elastic collision mass A travels back at a velocity near equal to that it came at. I am trying to have it so it will not travel back.

Based on your statement being that momentum is conserverd in every collision/explosion that if the two mass are now traveling together than we should have achieved at the very least the momentum of a inelastic collision.

Is this right?

(just got up :zzz: …)
Billy Berakus said:
If you would like we could think of the explosion as a loaded spring that pushes at the exact moment that A hits B. The power of the spring is set to exact amount of force required to push B forward and slow A to the speed of B.

But then that's a collision between three bodies. :redface:
I am just trying to understand in my mind how one could convert a collision from elastic to inelastic without the use of glue, magnets or any other medium that simply connects the two masses.

Well, you can't … whether A and B end up with the same velocity depends on how their surfaces interact.
Billy Berakus said:
… in an elastic collision mass A travels back at a velocity near equal to that it came at.

No … if they have the same mass, then A stops dead, and B acquires the velocity that A had (like that desk toy with the five silver spheres :smile:).
Based on your statement being that momentum is conserverd in every collision/explosion that if the two mass are now traveling together than we should have achieved at the very least the momentum of a inelastic collision.

Is this right?

Sorry, not following you. :confused:

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are collisions where the kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning the total kinetic energy before and after the collision is the same. Inelastic collisions, on the other hand, are collisions where some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

Why would someone want to convert an elastic collision to an inelastic one?

Converting an elastic collision to an inelastic one can be useful in certain situations, such as in car safety features, where the loss of kinetic energy can reduce the impact force and minimize damage. Inelastic collisions can also be used to transfer energy efficiently, such as in billiards, where the cue ball transfers its energy to the other balls upon impact.

How is kinetic energy lost in an inelastic collision?

Kinetic energy is lost in an inelastic collision due to the conversion of energy into other forms, such as heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved. This can happen due to friction, deformation of the objects, or the transfer of energy to other objects in the surroundings.

What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision depends on factors such as the materials and shape of the objects involved, the speed and angle of the collision, and the presence of any external forces, such as friction or air resistance. These factors can affect the amount of energy transferred and the efficiency of the conversion to other forms of energy.

How can one calculate the energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The energy lost in an inelastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy principles. By comparing the total kinetic energy before and after the collision, one can determine the amount of energy that was lost or converted into other forms. This can be helpful in designing and analyzing collisions in various applications.