Photons governing the electromagnetic field

In summary, the discussion revolves around the concept of photons governing the electromagnetic field. The idea is that photons are responsible for carrying the electromagnetic force and can travel between objects such as a balloon and arm hairs. However, virtual photons, which exist in the quantum realm, behave very differently from real photons and may just be a mathematical construct. The concept of photons and charge are closely linked and can be seen as a side-effect of this relationship. Further reading on Symmetry and Gauge concepts is recommended for a better understanding of this topic.
ranrod
As I understand it photons govern the electromagnetic field. I don't have an intuitive knowledge of what that means. Does anyone have an explanation, link or reference for an intuitive interpretation?

So if I rub a latex balloon against my clothes and then put it near my arm, I'll see all my arm hairs raise towards the balloon. Are there supposed to be a countless number of photons 'carrying' the electromagnetic force and traveling between the arm hairs and the balloon? That sounds counter-intuitive. Photons only travel in a straight line, don't they? But those curved magnetic-field lines that form around magnets have photons traveling through them? If you could somehow divert or absorb those photons, the magnet wouldn't work anymore?

I know an electron can 'shed' energy by releasing a photon and dropping its orbit, or 'absorb' a photon and go up an orbit. Is that what "photons govern the electromagnetic field" means? It sounds more like a symptom of electromagnetism rather than the governing factor.

Physics news on Phys.org
The elecromagnetic force is carred by so-called "virtual photons". The concept of a photon and charge are intimately linked. The "real" photons of light can be considered a side-effect of this relationship!

Virtual photons don't travel or behave in any manner that is at all familiar to everyday experience. They exist purely in the quantum realm. They might travel faster or slower than light, be heavy, or exist everywhere at once, to name a few things that get thrown out when trying to "explain" them.

You might try finding a book that's a gentle introduction to Symmetry and Gauge concepts. I rather like https://www.amazon.com/dp/052145591X/?tag=pfamazon01-20, which is see is under $5 for a used copy.

Nothing "follows" the lines that are often visualized around a magnet. Those are another subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
JDługosz said:
The elecromagnetic force is carred by so-called "virtual photons". The concept of a photon and charge are intimately linked. The "real" photons of light can be considered a side-effect of this relationship!
subject.

To what extent are virtual photons just a mathematical construct (or philosophical even), and to what extent are they supposed to represent what's really happening?

1. What are photons?

Photons are particles of light that are responsible for carrying electromagnetic energy. They have no mass and travel at the speed of light.

2. How do photons govern the electromagnetic field?

Photons interact with charged particles, such as electrons, and cause them to move, creating an electromagnetic field. This field is responsible for various phenomena, such as light, electricity, and magnetism.

3. Can photons be seen?

No, photons cannot be seen by the naked eye because they have no mass and do not reflect light. They can only be detected through their interactions with matter.

4. What is the relationship between photons and energy?

Photons are the fundamental unit of energy in the electromagnetic field. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, meaning higher frequency photons have more energy.

5. How are photons important in technology?

Photons play a crucial role in various technologies, such as solar panels, lasers, and fiber optics. They are also used in medical imaging and communication systems.