Discontinuity of Spacetime (and other things)

In summary, there is a lot of confusion surrounding the concept of spacetime being continuous or discrete. There are a lot of unresolved questions about how space and time might be quantized, and what implications that would have. It's possible that if spacetime is quantized, then it would mean that a locational probability distribution (in quantum mechanics) for a particle in a closed region would only contain a finite number of possible "locations" rather than a continuous cloud of probability. However, this would also mean that the "spacetime continuum" is a misnomer. There are still a lot of obstacles that need to be overcome before GR and QM can be successfully merged.
Jonnyb42
We know that matter is discrete, and energy is quantized, (and more quantized things I don't know about.) There is also Planck length? and Planck time?

Is spacetime continuous?
If we don't know yet, I sure hope it is, because I much prefer to imagine discrete matter and energy interacting in a continuous "environment."

What implications would there be if spacetime was not continuous?

I, for some reason, really hope that spacetime is continuous.

Then again, I also think that whatever is the real case, perhaps it would be possible to model spacetime to be continuous and not care about what it really is, as long as it explains phenomenon and can be used to engineer things.

Oh, one more thing: What is the deal with string theory? Why has it been a candidate for a theory of everything for so long? What are string theorists working on at the moment? What does string theory have to say about spacetime, (other than it's dimensions, for example, it's continuity.)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jonnyb42 said:
Is spacetime continuous?
If we don't know yet, I sure hope it is, because I much prefer to imagine discrete matter and energy interacting in a continuous "environment."

I'm not a scientist, but I think the theory for determining whether spacetime is continuous or not is called 'quantum gravity'. Its goal is to quantize space, from what I understand. That would mean spacetime consists of discrete chunks and is not continuous.

I personally don't believe that there is a totally continuous environment at any order of magnitude below what we can currently probe.

Hmm, well if spacetime is quantized, does that mean that a locational probability distribution (in quantum mechanics) for a particle in a closed region would only contain a finite number of possible "locations" rather than a continuous cloud of probability?

Wouldn't that also make the "spacetime continuum" a misnomer?

Last edited:
Jonnyb42 said:
What implications would there be if spacetime was not continuous?

I, for some reason, really hope that spacetime is continuous.

Then again, I also think that whatever is the real case, perhaps it would be possible to model spacetime to be continuous and not care about what it really is, as long as it explains phenomenon and can be used to engineer things.
This is one of the biggest mysteries of our time: the incompatibility between our two major theories: GR and QM. For GR, spacetime must be continuous; for QM, it must be discrete. When you try to reconcile them, you get non-sensical answers.

This is one of the biggest mysteries of our time: the incompatibility between our two major theories: GR and QM.
By any chance, do you (or anyone else) know how string theory is coming along? I know it is a candidate for a theory of everything, but what are it's current obstacles?

Jonnyb42 said:
By any chance, do you (or anyone else) know how string theory is coming along? I know it is a candidate for a theory of everything, but what are it's current obstacles?

Last I heard (and it's been a while),
1] string theory allows so many possibilities (virtually countless) for the configuration of the universe that it doesn't explain why this is the one we got.
2] It doesn't predict anything testable, which is another way of saying it is not falsifiable, which is another way of saying it's not scientifically valid.

...and a quick peek at the Wiki entry for it suggests these are still problems.

I've only ever paddled in shallow waters of quantum theory, but the impression I have is that although some things are discrete, like the energy levels of an atom, or the decomposition of matter and electromagnetic radiation into discrete particles, there are lots of other things that aren't discrete. For example, the location of a free electron in empty space may be uncertain, but the possible locations form a continuum. (People who say that all distances are an integer multiple of a Planck length have, I believe, misunderstood the concept -- that would be incompatible with relativity anyway.)

That's my impression of our current understanding, but as we don't yet have a successful merger of GR and quantum theory, who knows what that might turn up?

1. What is discontinuity of spacetime?

Discontinuity of spacetime refers to the concept that spacetime, which is the fabric of the universe that combines the dimensions of space and time, may not be continuous and may instead have breaks or disruptions in its structure. This idea is often explored in theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

2. How does discontinuity of spacetime affect our understanding of the universe?

The concept of discontinuity of spacetime challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as a smooth and continuous entity. It opens up the possibility for phenomena such as black holes, wormholes, and other disruptions in the fabric of spacetime that may have significant impacts on the behavior of matter and energy.

3. Are there any other things besides spacetime that can exhibit discontinuity?

Yes, there are other physical quantities and phenomena that can exhibit discontinuity. For example, quantum mechanics suggests that at the smallest scales, matter and energy can exist in discrete, quantized units rather than as a continuous flow. Additionally, the concept of discontinuity can also apply to other dimensions beyond just space and time.

4. How do scientists study and measure discontinuity of spacetime?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study discontinuity of spacetime, including mathematical models, computer simulations, and experiments with high-energy particles. They also analyze data from astronomical observations and look for patterns or anomalies that may support the existence of discontinuities in spacetime.

5. What implications does the idea of discontinuity of spacetime have for the future of physics?

The concept of discontinuity of spacetime is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the field of physics. If proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in areas such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.