Calculating Mass with a Frictionless Pulley: A Physics Problem

• Thread starter koomba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pully
In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics problem involving a frictionless pulley and two masses, with one being accelerated downwards. The issue is solved by using the formula a/g = (M2- M1) / (M2 + M1) and plugging in the values to find the mass of M1. The person asking for help is a beginner in physics and appreciates the assistance given.
koomba
Ok I've been working on this problem for a while, and I'm kinda new to physics, so bear with me. So here it is:

Heres the picture of the problem:

prob68_Atwood1.gif

A frictionless pulley with zero mass is attached to the ceiling, in a gravity field of 9.81 m/s2. Mass M2=0.150 kg is being accelerated downward with a=1.10 m/s2. Calculate the mass m1.

Just assume there is no compression/stretching of the rope on this problem. ALso, I guess the acceleration of M1 would be -1.10 m/s^2, correct? Beyond this I'm really confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect a/g = (M2- M1) / (M2 + M1). Then (M2 + M1) a/g = M2 - M1 . and
M1 a/g + M1 = M2 -M2 a/g so M1 = M2 (1-a/g)/(1+a/g) .

I'll see what kind of numbers I get with that, thanks!

Edit: Hey looks like that worked out, thanks man! :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley affect force and tension?

A pulley can either increase or decrease the amount of force needed to lift or move an object, depending on the number of pulleys used. The more pulleys there are, the less force is needed, but the tension in the rope or cable increases.

3. What is the relationship between the number of pulleys and the force required?

The number of pulleys is inversely proportional to the force required. This means that as the number of pulleys increases, the force required decreases and vice versa.

4. How does the direction of pull affect the force and tension in a pulley system?

The direction of pull does not affect the force required, but it can affect the tension in the rope or cable. In a single pulley system, the tension is the same throughout the rope. In a multiple pulley system, the tension in the rope on the side where the force is applied is greater than the tension on the other side.

5. What is the difference between fixed and movable pulleys?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and helps to reduce the amount of force needed to lift or move it. Movable pulleys are also known as block and tackle systems.