Quantum-Dot Fluorescence - Hypothetical Semiconductor

In summary, we are considering a hypothetical semiconductor with a band gap of 1eV, relative electron mass of 0.05, and relative hole mass of 0.5. We want to find the energy associated with a transition from the (2 1 1) electron state to the (1 1 1) hole state in a cube-shaped quantum dot with a side length of 3nm. Using the formula for confinement energy, we can calculate the recombination energy by summing up the band gap energy, electron confinement energy, and hole confinement energy. The resulting value is 1.525eV.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

Consider a hypothetical semiconductor with band gap 1eV, Relative electron mass is 0.05 and relative hole mass is 0.5.
In a cube-shaped quantum dot of this material with side length L = 3nm, what is the energy associated with a transition from (2 1 1) electron state to the (1 1 1) hole state?

Homework Equations

confinement energy of a particle trapped in a 3D box:

[itex] E_n = \left(\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}\right)\left(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2\right)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so, an electron has been excited into the a higher energy state (2 1 1) from (1 1 1) producing an exciton, the hole remains in state (1 1 1).

the band gap energy [itex]E_g = 1eV[/itex]

the recombination energy is [itex]E_r[/itex]

i have a formula which says that:

[itex]E_r = E_g + E_e + E_h[/itex]

where Ee and Eh are confinement energies of the electron and hole respectively.

do i just sum up Eg Eh and Ee to get the recombination energy?
I would have thought i'd need to work out the difference between the (2 1 1) and (1 1 1) state of the electron.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just summing them up like the formula says, i get 1.525eV for the recombination energy. My quantum is pretty waek, is this right?

1. What is quantum-dot fluorescence?

Quantum-dot fluorescence is a phenomenon where semiconductor nanoparticles, known as quantum dots, emit light when excited by an external energy source. This fluorescence can be observed in different colors depending on the size and composition of the quantum dot.

2. How are quantum dots different from traditional semiconductors?

Quantum dots are typically much smaller than traditional semiconductors, with sizes ranging from 2-10 nanometers. They also have unique optical and electronic properties due to their size and ability to confine electrons, leading to enhanced fluorescence and other applications in technology.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum-dot fluorescence?

Quantum-dot fluorescence has a wide range of potential applications, including in medical imaging, solar cells, LED displays, and biological sensors. They can also be used in quantum computing and as a replacement for traditional dyes in biological and chemical labeling.

4. How is quantum-dot fluorescence being studied and utilized in research?

Scientists are studying quantum-dot fluorescence through various techniques such as spectroscopy, microscopy, and nanotechnology. They are also exploring ways to control and manipulate the fluorescence of quantum dots for specific applications, such as using different surface coatings or varying the size and composition of the dots.

5. Is quantum-dot fluorescence a real phenomenon or just hypothetical?

Quantum-dot fluorescence is a real phenomenon that has been observed and studied in laboratories. However, its potential applications are still being researched and developed. The term "hypothetical" may be used in reference to the theoretical models and predictions used to explain the behavior of quantum dots and their fluorescence.