Why are we concentrating on gay specific bullying instead of all bullying?

• News
  • Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of bullying and whether or not the nation is focusing too much on anti-gay bullying instead of addressing bullying in general. The idea that bullying should be taken seriously regardless of the victim's identity is discussed, along with the concept that certain forms of bullying, such as targeting minorities, may be more severe and warrant more attention. The conversation also touches on the lack of legal rights for the LGBTQ+ community and how this may contribute to the prevalence of anti-gay bullying.
Pattonias
I am wondering why the nation is gathering under the flag of bullying in relation specifically to gays instead of attacking the issue of bullying in general?

I was bullied in middle school, and everyone just told me that was the way it was.

I hate that bullying of anyone goes on and wish that we could take a stand against all forms of bullying?

Is it still acceptable to make fun of someone as long as they are not in a ethnic or social minority?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pattonias said:
I am wondering why the nation is gathering under the flag of bullying in relation specifically to gays instead of attacking the issue of bullying in general?

I was bullied in middle school, and everyone just told me that was the way it was.

I hate that bullying of anyone goes on and wish that we could take a stand against all forms of bullying?

Is it still acceptable to make fun of someone as long as they are not in a ethnic or social minority?

You must be a white male. You're going to have to suck it up.

drankin said:
You must be a white male. You're going to have to suck it up.

Exactly, that is what I was told.

Why do we keep hearing so much about breast cancer? Does that mean all other forms of cancer are acceptable? Shouldn't we be taking a stand against all kinds of cancer?

If the above argument sounds absurd to you, you'll see how your argument sounds to me.

There should be a big difference if you are bullying someone because he is a member of minority or for his apperance only. This difference should in society exist... So let's first stop the bullying of minorities and later on we can concentrate on other forms. The gay issue is non compareable. We do not have the same rights as straight people have... You have the same rights in your country I hope as the same white straight male. So bullying is the only difference as I see it. But I have to tell you if you lived in my country we would not have the same legal rights.

robert80 said:
There should be a big difference if you are bullying someone because he is a member of minority or for his apperance only. This difference should in society exist... So let's first stop the bullying of minorities and later on we can concentrate on other forms. The gay issue is non compareable. We do not have the same rights as straight people have... You have the same rights in your country I hope as the same white straight male. So bullying is the only difference as I see it. But I have to tell you if you lived in my country we would not have the same legal rights.

Which country are you from?

Slovenia EU. I ment marriage and adoption.

Jack21222 said:
Why do we keep hearing so much about breast cancer? Does that mean all other forms of cancer are acceptable? Shouldn't we be taking a stand against all kinds of cancer?

If the above argument sounds absurd to you, you'll see how your argument sounds to me.
It doesn't sound absurd to me. Now what?

Pattonias said:
Can you show first, that this is indeed true?

I searched Google News for "bullying", and of the 10 stories in the first page of results only 3 were related to anti-gay bullying, and that too somewhat obliquely. Most of the rest have absolutely no mention of the words gay, homosexual, etc.

This thread is meaningful ONLY if someone can substantiate the fundamental assertion that the nation is in fact "gathering under the flag of bullying in relation specifically to gays instead of attacking the issue of bullying in general?" If not, the thread would be based entirely upon unsubstantiated speculation, which essentially calls for it to be locked or deleted.

Last edited:
robert80 said:
Slovenia EU. I ment marriage and adoption.

Gay people in the US for example cannot marry or adopt in most states.

Also, breast cancer is overrated.

I assume the OP is referring to the college student who killed himself after he was video taped having sex, and the outpouring of media support that lasted a week or two afterwards. There definitely wasn't any long term initiative that was started because of that, it was just a media event

Pattonias said:

I guess you didn't have a spokesperson?
http://www.gaypolitics.com/2010/10/08/will-congress-consider-national-bullying-law/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Pattonias said:
Don't quote me on this because it needs facts but...

I think there's a difference in severity.

People have been killed for being gay.

Generic bullying, in school or example, is less targeted and, I think, generally less violent.

Basically, the label of gay is analagous with a red cape to a bull.

Unlike homophobic bullies, you don't really find "regular" bullies in the locker room talking about how they wish they could take a bat to all the ... "wimpy, easily-intimidated kids in the world".

The 'gay' label is a lightning rod for violence and renders this particular type of bashing at risk of becoming institutionalized - i.e. a club.

Gokul43201 said:
Can you show first, that this is indeed true?

I searched Google News for "bullying", and of the 10 stories in the first page of results only 3 were related to anti-gay bullying, a

Try gay bashing. I think that is the more common term.

DaveC426913 said:
Try gay bashing. I think that is the more common term.
It wouldn't help to compare the relative "concentration" on gay bullying as opposed to any generic bullying ... but nevertheless, I did try it. Of the 10 hits on the first page, only one was obliquely related to anti-gay bullying in a school. The rest were about anti-gay slurs and violence among adults and other institutions.

Moreover, it's the job of the OP to substantiate the claims upon which the thread is based. So far, this thread still has no good reason for existing.

Gokul43201 said:
Moreover, it's the job of the OP to substantiate the claims upon which the thread is based. So far, this thread still has no good reason for existing.
Well, he's expressing a perception. I suppose the implicit question is: is his perception realistic?

Evo said:
I haven't seen any specific focus as the OP claims, but here is info on it.

Miami Herald. http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gays...eaths-of-tyler-clementi-and-other-youths.html

Google page on gay harrassment in schools.

http://www.google.com/search?source...GGLL_enUS339US339&q=gay+harassment+in+schools
I don't doubt that some schools are concerned specifically about anti-gay harrassment, but that doesn't mean the schools, communities, ... the nation, is ignoring bullying in general. And the OP specifically implies this. That is still unsubstantiated. Worse, easily debunked:

San Jose: Nearly 250 attend meeting to address bullying in schools (Nov 17) - no mention of the word 'gay.'

http://www.masslive.com/hampfrank/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-29/1289895680241110.xml&coll=1 [Broken] - again, absolutely no mention of anti-gay bullying.

And it shouldn't be anyone else's job but Pattonias' to provide substantiation for the claims made in the OP.

russ_watters said:
It doesn't sound absurd to me. Now what?

Now I trust that most people can see the flaw in the argument, and you're just an exception.

I agree with Gokul on this. So far no evidence has been provided by the OP to back up the claims that gay bullying is taking priorty over any other form of bullying.

If they can't show any evidence it is based purely on the OP's view of things, a highly speculative one at that.

In all fairness, there have been threads locked for far less than this.

From my post above - (number 11) "National media coverage of the suicides of bullied gay teens may have presented LGBT advocates with a “teachable moment,” according to an Associated Press article, and that could translate to support for a national law aimed at protecting students from bullying.

“It’s when bigotry shows itself at its worst that people respond,” said Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass. Frank referenced film of police dogs attacking civil rights protesters in the 1960’s, saying the footage helped galvanize white support for black civil rights."

Let's not lose site of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" discussion that is also in the new.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/11/18/131408858/vote-to-be-held-on-don-t-ask-don-t-tell

Is this in support of the OP's hypothesis? Or are you just outlining that point?

I've just googled the OP's claim and haven't seen any supporting evidence.

At first I thought the OP was not valid, then I read Barney Frank's quote. Now I think it's possible there may be special interests wanting to keep the issue in the news?

If a bunch of people commit suicide, even if they are all completely unrelated, if they all are found to be gay the media will play on this. That's what they do.
It is common to see things such as race / sexuality and the like quoted in a news report, even when it has no bearing on the report itself.

I don't see any reasons such as "wanting to keep the issue in the news". Things remain in the news as long as they get readers or until something better comes along.

That report simply links the don't ask, don't tell issue with anti-bullying. The issue at hand in that report is not regarding bullying in itself and it certainly doesn't support the OP.

Again, from what you quoted it doesn't seem to support what the OP said. I want some specific evidence showing that gay bullying is being seen / treated as a priority.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a surprise that if someone just killed himself after being bullied for being gay, efforts to prevent people from being bullied for being gay will be in the news. That said, I hadn't even heard of this until I opened this thread right now and knew of no specific anti-bullying measures of any sort. It's hard to call this "the nation" rallying behind a cause to the exclusion of related causes.

Wow, "threads locked for less than this". I figured this topic was common knowledge, perhaps your high school was a place of tranquility. I in no way support any kind of bullying, regardless of who it is against, but I am wondering why the fervor was raised of bullying in relation to a gay person, and not for the countless other instances of bullying.

You'll have to to excuse me because I listen to NPR and receive a large amount of my news from this source.

Third hit on google. http://http://newsroom.hmoodle.com/?p=1182" [Broken]

What I can see happening is some sort of rush legislation that makes it a "hate crime" to poke fun at someones sexuality, but a shrug to bullying in general.

And please quit with the tirades about the OPS responsibility to provide data, I'm not exactly pushing a new theory for the origin of the universe. I'm talking about the media's take on the issue of bullying as it stands today.

I think bullying should be dealt with harshly when it is directed at anyone for any reason. Regardless of whatever reason someone feels they have a right to demean another.

Show me where you're seeing a shrug to bullying in general.

Pattonias said:
I am wondering why the fervor was raised of bullying in relation to a gay person, and not for the countless other instances of bullying.
You never seem to stop with your unjustified (and demonstrably false) assertions that bullying against other people has been acceptable, ignored, given the shrug, etc.

Pattonias said:
Third hit on google. http://http://newsroom.hmoodle.com/?p=1182" [Broken]

All that article says is that there has been a rise in suicides which is being blamed on bullying, a number of which have been caused by the victims sexuality "or rumoured sexuality".
If you read the whole thing you will note that it doesn't focus solely on the gay issue. It talks about bullying in general.
There is no apparent stance by the media. They just gave the reason for some instances of bullying.

Third hit on google? Does that mean one and two didn't involve gay people? From that alone we can see that the "other forms of bullying" are more important (or at least requested / looked at more often).
And please quit with the tirades about the OPS responsibility to provide data, I'm not exactly pushing a new theory for the origin of the universe. I'm talking about the media's take on the issue of bullying as it stands today.

It is and always has been. You made a claim, one that clearly isn't holding up to even simple investigation. I have google numerous phrases regarding bullying and haven't seen any indication that there is a focus on gay people being bullied and ignorance to other forms.

Perhaps he's referring to the Trevor Project "It Gets Better" campaign. The point of my earlier post was just because a LGBT special interest group starts a project based on their special interest doesn't mean suddenly everything outside of their special interest doesn't matter.

The analogy I made is just because a breast cancer special interest group starts a breast cancer campaign doesn't mean they think all other forms of cancer are cool.

Jack21222 said:
The analogy I made is just because a breast cancer special interest group starts a breast cancer campaign doesn't mean they think all other forms of cancer are cool.

Ah now I see the point you were trying to make.

Just remember what someone told me on Sodahead once.

"You're a white male. You're not allowed to talk."

Char. Limit said:
Just remember what someone told me on Sodahead once.

"You're a white male. You're not allowed to talk."

Poor, pitiful white males...sigh!

It seems all the rage to wear the 'victim' cloak these days :rolleyes:.

No one is stiffling white males from speaking. Just don't get so sensitive and defensive if your point of view is challenged.

lisab said:
Poor, pitiful white males...sigh!

It seems all the rage to wear the 'victim' cloak these days :rolleyes:.

No one is stiffling white males from speaking. Just don't get so sensitive and defensive if your point of view is challenged.

I didn't say I was wearing a victim cloak, or that I was being stifled from speaking. It's just something someone on Sodahead told me.

...I blocked him.

In the topic at hand, I would say that it's because gay bullying is more serious. However, you're mistaken if you believe that we don't concentrate on other forms of bullying as well. The only reason you don't hear about it as much is because it's not as controversial, and the media likes controversy.

Char. Limit said:
I didn't say I was wearing a victim cloak, or that I was being stifled from speaking. It's just something someone on Sodahead told me.

...I blocked him.

In the topic at hand, I would say that it's because gay bullying is more serious. However, you're mistaken if you believe that we don't concentrate on other forms of bullying as well. The only reason you don't hear about it as much is because it's not as controversial, and the media likes controversy.

I agree, all types of bullying are bad, but some are worse than others. Picking on someone because of their shirt is mean. But picking on someone because of their sexuality, race, or ethnicity is much worse, because those kind of things are often internalized as part of self-identity.

Actually, the more we discuss it, I think the Tea Party has been bullied just as much.

WhoWee said:
Actually, the more we discuss it, I think the Tea Party has been bullied just as much.

Difference: You can choose to be a Tea Partier. You can't choose to be gay.

<h2>1. Why is gay specific bullying such a big issue?</h2><p>Gay specific bullying is a big issue because it targets a specific group of individuals based on their sexual orientation. This type of bullying can have severe and long-lasting effects on the victims, including depression, anxiety, and even suicide. It is important to address this issue to create a safe and inclusive environment for all students.</p><h2>2. Isn't all bullying bad? Why focus on one type?</h2><p>While all forms of bullying are harmful, gay specific bullying is often overlooked and not given the same attention as other types of bullying. This can lead to a lack of support and resources for those who are victims of this type of bullying. By focusing on gay specific bullying, we can raise awareness and provide support for those who are targeted.</p><h2>3. But isn't bullying just a part of growing up?</h2><p>No, bullying should not be considered a normal part of growing up. It is a serious issue that can have a negative impact on a person's mental and emotional well-being. By addressing and preventing bullying, we can create a safer and healthier environment for all individuals.</p><h2>4. What about other marginalized groups? Shouldn't we focus on all forms of discrimination?</h2><p>While it is important to address all forms of discrimination, including racism, sexism, and ableism, it is also important to recognize that gay specific bullying is a unique issue that requires specific attention. By addressing this issue, we are not dismissing the importance of addressing other forms of discrimination, but rather acknowledging the specific challenges and needs of the LGBTQ+ community.</p><h2>5. How can we prevent gay specific bullying?</h2><p>Preventing gay specific bullying requires a multi-faceted approach. This includes educating students and staff about the harmful effects of bullying, promoting inclusivity and acceptance in schools, and implementing policies and procedures to address and prevent bullying. It is also important to provide support and resources for students who may be victims of bullying and create a safe and supportive environment for them to report any incidents. Additionally, involving parents and the community in these efforts can also be beneficial in preventing gay specific bullying.</p>

1. Why is gay specific bullying such a big issue?

Gay specific bullying is a big issue because it targets a specific group of individuals based on their sexual orientation. This type of bullying can have severe and long-lasting effects on the victims, including depression, anxiety, and even suicide. It is important to address this issue to create a safe and inclusive environment for all students.

2. Isn't all bullying bad? Why focus on one type?

While all forms of bullying are harmful, gay specific bullying is often overlooked and not given the same attention as other types of bullying. This can lead to a lack of support and resources for those who are victims of this type of bullying. By focusing on gay specific bullying, we can raise awareness and provide support for those who are targeted.

3. But isn't bullying just a part of growing up?

No, bullying should not be considered a normal part of growing up. It is a serious issue that can have a negative impact on a person's mental and emotional well-being. By addressing and preventing bullying, we can create a safer and healthier environment for all individuals.

4. What about other marginalized groups? Shouldn't we focus on all forms of discrimination?

While it is important to address all forms of discrimination, including racism, sexism, and ableism, it is also important to recognize that gay specific bullying is a unique issue that requires specific attention. By addressing this issue, we are not dismissing the importance of addressing other forms of discrimination, but rather acknowledging the specific challenges and needs of the LGBTQ+ community.

5. How can we prevent gay specific bullying?

Preventing gay specific bullying requires a multi-faceted approach. This includes educating students and staff about the harmful effects of bullying, promoting inclusivity and acceptance in schools, and implementing policies and procedures to address and prevent bullying. It is also important to provide support and resources for students who may be victims of bullying and create a safe and supportive environment for them to report any incidents. Additionally, involving parents and the community in these efforts can also be beneficial in preventing gay specific bullying.