HELP How to find a method to determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the molar mass of a soluble acid X using a titration method. The apparatus includes monobasic acid and aqueous sodium hydroxide, along with other laboratory equipment. The participant suggests using a titration with NaOH, but is unsure of the amount of acid to use. The other participant asks about the amount of acid material and moles of NaOH used in the titration, as well as the neutralization reaction and the molar mass of the acid.
don1231915
HELP! How to find a method to determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X??

Homework Statement

I am provided with the following apparatus:
Monobasic Acid (KHC6H4O6) - Potassium Phthalate (Mr of about 202.4)
Aqueous Sodium Hydroxide (0.1M)
Indicator
Acid X monobasic (whose molar mass I have to find!)
Normal laboratory equipment

The question is to design a method to find the molar mass of the soluble acid x

Homework Equations

ACID + OH -- H20 + ACIDrest (I got this from my friend but I have no clue what this has to do with the stuff I have said above)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I came up with after a lot of thinking was a simple titration
I could titrate with NaOH. But then I am not sure whether to use some amount of acid x or the mixture of acid x and potassium phthalate or just potassium phthalate. I am really confused here!

Please Please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

How many grams of acid material were weighed and dissolved for preparation for the titration?

How many moles of sodium hydroxide titrant at 0.1 M were used for the titration?

Could the neutralization reaction be represented as:
HX + NaOH ---------> NaX + HOH

? Then how many moles of sodium hydroxide are required for one mole of HX ?

If you want to find molar mass, then are you looking for how many grams per mole is the acid "HX"?

1. How do I determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X?

To determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X, you will need to know the mass of the substance in grams and the number of moles present. You can then use the formula M = m/n, where M is the molar mass, m is the mass in grams, and n is the number of moles.

2. What equipment do I need to determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X?

You will need a balance or scale to measure the mass of the substance, a graduated cylinder or pipette to measure the volume of the substance, and a calculator to perform the necessary calculations.

3. How can I determine the number of moles of a soluble acid X?

To determine the number of moles of a soluble acid X, you can use the formula n = m/M, where n is the number of moles, m is the mass in grams, and M is the molar mass. You will need to know the mass of the substance in grams and the molar mass of the substance.

4. Can I use any method to determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X?

There are several methods that can be used to determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X, including titration, gas laws, and freezing point depression. The method you choose will depend on the properties of the acid and the equipment and resources available to you.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when determining the molar mass of a soluble acid X?

It is important to follow all safety precautions when working with any chemicals, including soluble acids. Be sure to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and work in a well-ventilated area. Also, be careful when handling any equipment or chemicals to avoid accidents or spills.