A general Question about Gravity and Quantum Physics

In summary, Paul was thinking about Gravity and how it may be an effect of a cumulative Quantum force. He postulated about making a planet and calculated how many trips he would need to take to create it. He has questions about Gravity that he wants answered by experts.
i_am_a_newbie
Hi,

My name is Paul and I have a question to pose that I feel you chaps may be able to help me with. Last night I was letting my mind wonder and I was thinking about Gravity and how I think it is an effect of a cumulated Quantum force. Remember it was just my mind wondering also I am not a scientist nor have I been educated in Science past high school so if I am totally wrong please let me know :)

I was postulating to myself what it would be like if I could make a planet. If time was no object nor money, nor space flight. What if I could make many trips to a stable point in space, taking with me a lot of pebbles. For arguments sake each weighs 1kg, now I've put some numbers into a computer and calculated how many I need and how many trips I need to take to complete my planet. Let’s also say my planet will be Earth sized, and generally have the same density and gravity of Earth. Now how many pebbles I need and how I get them is irrespective in this hypothetical argument. Let’s just say I create this "Pebble Planet" even though it would take too long and cost too much, let’s put that aside and talk about some science on this new creation lol.

Ok I have a few questions for people with a far greater understanding of Gravity than myself.

a) On my pebble planet aside from having no atmosphere, can I roam around just like on earth, would having the same mass and density as Earth be enough to hold my pebble planet in place?

This made me wonder, I said to myself "of course it would have the same Gravity"..I then wondered about Gravity itself, could it be a "field effect" for instance... All my pebbles stay to together but how do they know how to do so. My next question to myself was this.

b) Is there a Quantum interaction by atoms close together i.e. on a larger scale do all my pebbles on my pebble planet interact with each other in a seemingly invisible way to stay together.

This led me to a further question.

c) For this effect for to be stronger, this Quantum effect would somehow have to accumulate when in closer proximity to other matter.

and

d) Could Quantum Entanglement be used to explain this kind of "communication" at a sub atomic level?

The final question I pondered was about spin and was in relation to b and c.

d) If this effect can accumulate, so matter itself can accumulate through the force of gravity and a sub-atomic particle was responsible for this force. If this particle could interact with other particles to create Gravity what if this sub atomic particle has spin, would the spin also be a cumulative effect?

Sorry if this is long winded or if it's just plain rubbish, I'm just hoping someone can set me straight or if our knowledge on Gravity as a race is insufficient to explain the observations of what we see.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of the questions after a) don't make any sense. Don't use the word "quantum" to describe anything you don't understand. While the fact that you don't understand anything quantum seems to be true, it doesn't work the other way around.

Yes, if you make your pebble planet massive enough, you'd be able to walk on it. In fact, you might even end up with a bit of an atmosphere as a side effect. Depends on what sort of rocks you keep brining with yourself. The actual surface gravity will depend on total mass and average density, so the planet being just as big as Earth doesn't necessarily mean it will have the same gravity. Still, you should be able to find the right number of pebbles to get the surface gravity to be exactly the same.

The pebbles you build the planet out of don't "know" anything about other pebbles. Each one generates its own gravitational field. The total field is a simple sum of fields from individual pebbles. (Strictly speaking, it's not, because of General Relativity, but correction is minor even for a planet.) The net force will be pulling all of the pebbles towards the center, because that's always the direction where there are more pebbles, meaning gravity would pull that way. And if you have gravity pulling towards the center, the configuration that would make all of the pebbles as close to the center as possible is a sphere.

Hi K^2,

Thanks for your response, true enough I don't understand about 99% of Quantum Physics so I do apologise for applying it outside of a context I understand, alas my mind was only wondering :) Thank you for your answer if b/c/d don't make sense then I don't need to spend any more time wondering about it. I think the reason I postulated to the question to myself was because I couldn't understand what allows each pebble to have it's own graviational field (although minor) and allows the pebbles to also act like one giant planet sized pebble. One more question I had was if I dug down from the surface of the pebble planet to the centre would the force of gravity diminish as I got closer and closer to the centre of the mass of pebbles?

Yes, it would decrease. There might be a slight increase early on due to variations in density. Odds are, your pebbles will be crushed and fused together at the depth, so density is going to be higher there.

Hi,

Thanks K^2 for your speedy replies and for setting me straight, I think my question shows I need to spend more of my time researching the subject rather than trying to explain everything with a fantasy quantum world I have created!

Many Thanks

What is the relationship between gravity and quantum physics?

The relationship between gravity and quantum physics is still a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists. While both theories seek to explain different aspects of the universe, they have been difficult to reconcile. Gravity is the force that governs the behavior of large objects, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of subatomic particles. Some scientists believe that a theory of quantum gravity may be able to bridge the gap between these two theories.

How does gravity work on a quantum level?

Gravity has not yet been successfully explained on a quantum level. In classical physics, gravity is seen as a force between two objects with mass. However, in quantum physics, particles do not have definite positions or masses, making it difficult to apply classical theories of gravity. Some theories propose that gravity arises from the curvature of spacetime, while others suggest that gravity may be a fundamental force like the other three forces in the standard model of particle physics.

Can gravity be quantized?

Quantization is the process of assigning discrete values to physical quantities, and it has been successfully applied to other fundamental forces in the standard model of particle physics. However, quantizing gravity has proved to be a challenge. Some theories, such as string theory, attempt to incorporate gravity into a quantized framework, but there is no widely accepted theory of quantum gravity at this time.

How does gravity affect the behavior of particles at the quantum level?

At the quantum level, particles can exhibit behaviors that are not observed in classical physics, such as entanglement and superposition. Gravity has not yet been successfully incorporated into the quantum framework, so its effects on particles at this level are not fully understood. Some theories propose that gravity may play a role in the collapse of the quantum wavefunction, but more research is needed to determine the exact relationship between gravity and quantum behavior.

What experiments are being conducted to study the relationship between gravity and quantum physics?

There are several ongoing experiments and research projects seeking to better understand the relationship between gravity and quantum physics. These include experiments at the Large Hadron Collider, studies of gravitational waves, and research on the behavior of particles in extreme conditions such as black holes. As technology and our understanding of these theories continue to advance, we may be able to gain a better understanding of the connection between gravity and quantum physics.