Solving Logic Function w/ NOR Gates

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding a logic function and simplifying it using De Morgan's laws. The resulting expression is B~C, which can be implemented using a NOR gate as an inverter and another NOR gate to connect B' and C. This approach is then applied to redesign the circuit using only NOR gates.
theuniverse

Homework Statement

Consider the truth table below.
(a) Write an expression for the logic function that it represents, and simplify that expression as much as possible, showing all steps.
(b) Draw a logic circuit implementing this.
(c) Redesign your circuit to use only NOR gates.

Homework Equations

A B C Q(output)
0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 1 0 1
0 1 1 0
1 0 0 0
1 0 1 0
1 1 0 1
1 1 1 0

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I chose to concentrate on when Q has values of 1. so I came up with the following equation: (where ~ means not, ie. ~A means that A is false)
Q = ~AB~C + AB~C
= B~C(~A+A) [~A+A=1]
= B~C
b) See attached.
c) that's where I could use some help... I'm not really sure how to write an expression or change my circuit diagram using what I already have.

Thanks!

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know De Morgan's laws? They should help you work this out.

(A + B)' = A'B'

(AB)' = A' + B'

Try drawing logic gates for each of those and they'll show you how else your function could be represented.

I drew them, and I see how something can go from AND to NOR for examples but I still don't understand how I can break BC' into something that I can draw using only NORs.
If I put the whole expression like so: (BC')' would I be able to do anything with it?

theuniverse said:
I drew them, and I see how something can go from AND to NOR for examples but I still don't understand how I can break BC' into something that I can draw using only NORs.
If I put the whole expression like so: (BC')' would I be able to do anything with it?

Remember that you can make an inverter out of a NOR. Put one of its inputs to 0 and it will invert the other input.

I think I get it. I will need to use 1 NOR for my inverter, and 3 NORs for my AND, am I right?

theuniverse said:
I think I get it. I will need to use 1 NOR for my inverter, and 3 NORs for my AND, am I right?

You can do better. Think about applying DeMorgans law to your BC'.

Using two NOR gates: BC'=B''C'=(B'+C)'.
So one of my NOR gates is used to invert the B, and then the other one connects the B' and a C which makes it equal to (B'+C)'.
Would that be correct?

theuniverse said:
Using two NOR gates: BC'=B''C'=(B'+C)'.
So one of my NOR gates is used to invert the B, and then the other one connects the B' and a C which makes it equal to (B'+C)'.
Would that be correct?

Looks good to me. You can always check what the output your circuit gives.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help LCKurtz!

1. What is a NOR gate?

A NOR gate is a type of logic gate that produces an output of 1 if both of its inputs are 0. It works by negating the outputs of two or more input signals.

2. How does a NOR gate work?

A NOR gate works by using transistors to produce a logical output based on the inputs it receives. The output will only be 1 when both of the inputs are 0.

3. What are the advantages of using NOR gates in logic functions?

NOR gates have a simpler construction compared to other logic gates, making them more cost-effective and easier to manufacture. They also have a wide range of applications in digital circuits.

4. Can NOR gates be used to create any logic function?

Yes, NOR gates can be used to create any logic function by combining multiple NOR gates in different configurations. They are considered universal gates, meaning that any other type of logic gate can be created using only NOR gates.

5. What are some common uses of NOR gates?

NOR gates are commonly used in digital circuits for tasks such as data encryption, signal processing, and error detection. They can also be found in computer memory, microprocessors, and other electronic devices.