What kind of students use this forum?

In summary, this forum is great for high school students who want to learn more about physics and other scientific fields. There are professionals here who can help with any questions.
Nicholasng925 said:
Hello all! I'm new here, from Malaysia. Just so you're wondering where it is located, it's somewhere around South East Asia, above Singapore and below Thailand. I'm a college student studying Cambridge A-Levels now by the way! :)

And you shave using a Kris knife? Right??

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicholasng925 said:
Hello all! I'm new here, from Malaysia. Just so you're wondering where it is located, it's somewhere around South East Asia, above Singapore and below Thailand. I'm a college student studying Cambridge A-Levels now by the way! :)

Welcome to PF, but don't worry... we know where Malaysia is.

@Calrid: A brit bringing up Iraq?... that's ironic in so many ways...

nismaratwork said:

I must ask why? (I'm honestly not clued up on it, lost interest a while back.)

jarednjames said:
I must ask why? (I'm honestly not clued up on it, lost interest a while back.)

Well, Tony Blair leaps to mind, and beyond that...

Wikipedia said:
Ottoman rule over Iraq lasted until World War I when the Ottomans sided with Germany and the Central Powers. In the Mesopotamian campaign against the Central Powers, British forces invaded the country and suffered a major defeat at the hands of the Turkish army during the Siege of Kut (1915–1916). British forces regrouped and captured Baghdad in 1917. An armistice was signed in 1918.

Iraq was carved out of the Ottoman Empire by the French and British as agreed in the Sykes-Picot Agreement. The Sykes-Picot agreement was a secret agreement between UK and France with the assent of Imperial Russia, defining their respective spheres of influence and control in West Asia after the expected downfall of the Ottoman Empire during World War I. The Agreement was concluded on 16 May 1916.[28] On 11 November 1920 it became a League of Nations mandate under British control with the name "State of Iraq".

Britain imposed a Hāshimite monarchy on Iraq and defined the territorial limits of Iraq without taking into account the politics of the different ethnic and religious groups in the country, in particular those of the Kurds and the Assyrians to the north. During the British occupation, the Shi'ites and Kurds fought for independence.

Faced with spiraling costs and influenced by the public protestations of war hero T. E. Lawrence in The Times, Britain replaced Arnold Wilson in October 1920 with new Civil Commissioner Sir Percy Cox. Cox managed to quell the rebellion, yet was also responsible for implementing the fateful policy of close cooperation with Iraq's Sunni minority.[29][30]

In the Mandate period and beyond, the British supported the traditional, Sunni leadership (such as the tribal shaykhs) over the growing, urban-based nationalist movement. The Land Settlement Act gave the tribal shaykhs the right to register the communal tribal lands in their own name. The Tribal Disputes Regulations gave them judiciary rights, whereas the Peasants' Rights and Duties Act of 1933 severely reduced the tenants', forbidding them to leave the land unless all their debts to the landlord had been settled. The British resorted to military force when their interests were threatened, as in the 1941 Rashīd `Alī al-Gaylānī coup. This coup led to a British invasion of Iraq using forces from the British Indian Army and the Arab Legion from Jordan.

As is so often the case, the USA seems to stupidly pick up where the UK left-off... not sure why given the number of object lessons. Still, Tony Blair should have known better above all, about his own country's history there.

nismaratwork said:

Well having a light hearted dig at Americans so meh.

And I'm not sure how its ironic unless you are trying to imply I am my half wit government or I was on board with the clowns, their propaganda and the pointless lies and exaggerations behind the whole thing.

Likewise to any historical link.

I'm not going to act as an apologist for my nations stupid warmongering and lust for the control of wealth and trade, I wasn't even born through most of it. :smile:

Could've used this opportunity to make a poll! :)

I wish I used it in high-school (not sure it existed when I was in high-school). Now am in college studying mechatronics and using it.

Calrid said:
Well having a light hearted dig at Americans so meh.

And I'm not sure how its ironic unless you are trying to imply I am my half wit government or I was on board with the clowns, their propaganda and the pointless lies and exaggerations behind the whole thing.

Likewise to any historical link.

I'm not going to act as an apologist for my nations stupid warmongering and lust for the control of wealth and trade, I wasn't even born through most of it. :smile:

Ahhhh... well then the UK is off a lot of hooks. :wink:

Calrid said:
It's alright I'm not from the US we learn geography over here. We tend to know a lot about areas especially when they areas we once owned in our more colonialistic past. :wink:

I know low blow to the Yanks, but come on George Iraq! I know they share 3 letters but! :tongue:

And good for you!

I'm a "mature" student studying maths & physics p/t AAMOI.

Oh great! Nice to know you then! I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics, and I'm enthusiastic in Maths particularly Calculus, Algebra and Statistics. I bumped into Number Theory few days back and find it quite interesting! Gonna check out more on it! :D

arildno said:
And you shave using a Kris knife? Right??

What? :uhh: No I don't. For your information, Kris knife is a traditional knife used by Malay to defend their countries or states or whatever it is back in olden days. I'm a Malaysian Chinese by the way, and I'm proud of it.

nismaratwork said:

Thanks! :D

Last edited:
noone123 said:
I'm quite new...
Everything posted here looks so uni-level. Any high school students?

Yea, I'm a high school student, grade 11. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask, everyone here is genuinely nice and if you want to know anything further just PM me.

I wonder if there's any kid kids here on PF.

I am a high school student in eleventh grade.