How poor will I be as a scientist?

• Thread starter Delong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the person is considering going into graduate school for science-related work, but is afraid that they won't be able to make a living if they pursue a PhD. They are also interested in using their knowledge to help solve sustainability and health issues in the world. They are comfortable with their current lifestyle choices, but are still concerned about their ability to make a living if they pursued a graduate degree.
Delong
I am thinking of going into Graduate School for science something related to mathematical ecology. I don't like engineering but I really like science and math. But I'm afraid I will be stupid and poor if I get a Phd and go into academia. I do want to use science to accomplish something in the real world but I really don't like technology or medicine. I'm kind of interested in using math and physics to solve problems in biology, specifically evolutionary biology and ecosystem ecology. I'm interested in using this information to solve different health and sustainability issues for the growing world, specifically sustainability. I'm interested in understanding how ecosystems work and how apply that information to sustainability. I'm also interested in educating the public about nature, health, and sustainability but I suspect I can do that from the side. I'm just wondering how I can do this. Can I just do this from academia or do I have to be hired by the something outside? And will I be stinking poor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those that enjoy their work are never poor.

fss said:

:approve:

fss said:

I hate these nonsense statements.

You're not going to be paid minimum wage, but you're not going to have a second home in Switzerland most likely. Personally, I feel a person's financial well-being all comes down to their own financial know-how and choices.

Biomathematics is mostly Academy. Maybe some Government labs like LANL would be the ideal workplace but that's it. I have no idea if EPA works that kind of projects.

Pengwuino said:
I hate these nonsense statements.

Because you don't understand them? Or because your lifestyle choices put a strain on your finances? Or because you aren't happy with your work?

fss said:
Because you don't understand them? Or because your lifestyle choices put a strain on your finances? Or because you aren't happy with your work?

It's not a bad thing to want to be happy AND well off financially. It is important to be able to provide a good life for one's family. The statistics of socioeconomic status vs success are clear.

fss said:

I don't like them because it's not being honest with the people who ask those kinda questions. Many people can see that as a nice way of saying "yah you're going to be eating at soup kitchens" when in fact, that's not the case. It may even scare people off. The reality of the situation is that your work probably will be of little comfort if you have a family to support and bills to pay and such and are unable to.

As a scientist you'll earn more then most other career choices. The liberal arts tend to pay the worst

Perhaps I'm too young to decide for sure exactly I want to do. I just have general ideas right now. My main concern was that I wouldn't be drastically poor if I went to Graduate School and became a scientist instead of engineering or medicine. But my college professors aren't starving and they seem to be leading rather comfortable lives. I think I will be content with such a route then.

dude don't worry about other people, as long as it isn't obscure job and hated by everypeople
it is what you want to do
I am going into physics/astrophysics/cosmology and the job prospect isn't as good either

if you don't like engineering or meds may you should think about education?
like teaching as professors? try your best and give it a shot

Delong said:
But my college professors aren't starving and they seem to be leading rather comfortable lives. I think I will be content with such a route then.

Keep in mind that college professors are a minority among people who get phds- most will never get that tenure track academic job. Instead of looking at the professors, talk to the postdocs, and the adjuncts and other non-tenure track profs.

Looking at a professor and saying "I wouldn't mind being a scientist" is sort of like looking at a rock star and saying "I wouldn't mind being a musician."

Delong said:
... I do want to use science to accomplish something in the real world but I really don't like technology or medicine...

I think, to accomplish something in "the real world", you have to go work in the real world instead of academia. Why I don't think academia is a part of the real world is that the only position that allows you to stay in academia is a tenured position, but what the tenure does is shielding you (somewhat) from the ups and downs of the real world so that you can research something that has no present economic value (but may be interesting to you and/or important in the long run).

Also, in order for science to become something "real", as in having direct impact, you'll need to turn it into something "real". That, to me, is what engineering is.

I would consider A-Bombs and Google to have used science to accomplish something in the real world, but those were not done in academia and there were huge amounts of engineering involved.

Last edited:
"Also, in order for science to become something "real", as in having direct impact, you'll need to turn it into something "real". That, to me, is what engineering is."

Ok whether or not I want to make an impact in the real world the fact is I'm not an engineer. I'm a science major, biochemistry to be exact and trying to take some math and physics classes on the side. I've looked at med school and engineering very early on in college and quickly realized I wouldn't be satisfied in either. I really just wanted to understand. I hated rushing to make something happen. The question is, can I still make a valuable contribution as a scientist and how? I looked at some of the jobs on the EPA and many of them require scientists.
http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/search.aspx?brd=3876&vw=b&FedEmp=N&jbf574=EP00"I suppose if I do become a scientist I can work in a research position like that. Since I'm interested in environmental health I think I would be satisfied with that route. It seems like I am still helping the world in a real way but from the side of science. And from the looks of it I wouldn't be really poor. But I don't have a good sense of money anyway.

"Keep in mind that college professors are a minority among people who get phds- most will never get that tenure track academic job. Instead of looking at the professors, talk to the postdocs, and the adjuncts and other non-tenure track profs. "

Ok

"if you don't like engineering or meds may you should think about education?
like teaching as professors? try your best and give it a shot "
I'm not really excited about teaching either. I want to accomplish something in the real world. I just hope I can do so as a scientist. I read somewhere that a lot of scientists work on application eventually anyway. Ultimately I want to help out something with sustainability. I guess I will just do my own research.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delong said:
Perhaps I'm too young to decide for sure exactly I want to do. I just have general ideas right now. My main concern was that I wouldn't be drastically poor if I went to Graduate School and became a scientist instead of engineering or medicine. But my college professors aren't starving and they seem to be leading rather comfortable lives. I think I will be content with such a route then.

Remember, you're comparing with a couple of the highest paying career fields there are. Just because one isn't one of the top paid people doesn't mean you're poor :P

Pengwuino said:
Remember, you're comparing with a couple of the highest paying career fields there are. Just because one isn't one of the top paid people doesn't mean you're poor :P

Also don't look just at income. If you are making $150K, but you are spending $175K and have $200K in debt, you are in much, much worse shape than someone that is making $30K + zero debt.

One good thing about physics graduate school is that you are +$15K each year rather than -$15K.

Delong said:
Perhaps I'm too young to decide for sure exactly I want to do. I just have general ideas right now. My main concern was that I wouldn't be drastically poor if I went to Graduate School and became a scientist instead of engineering or medicine.

For physics it's rather unlikely. No one I know that has gone into physics is particularly poor. There is a chance that there will be an economic collapse, but in that situation, engineering and medicine won't help you.

Also, doctors and lawyers leave graduate schools with massive debt. Physicists don't, and that makes a *big* difference. One reason that physicists have diverse careers is that they aren't forced to do the same thing.

twofish-quant said:
Also don't look just at income. If you are making $150K, but you are spending $175K and have $200K in debt, you are in much, much worse shape than someone that is making $30K + zero debt.

One good thing about physics graduate school is that you are +$15K each year rather than -$15K.

Exactly. Who really gets into a lot of debt getting their PhD in science? and who DOESN'T get into debt as a medical or law student?

ParticleGrl said:
Keep in mind that college professors are a minority among people who get phds- most will never get that tenure track academic job. Instead of looking at the professors, talk to the postdocs, and the adjuncts and other non-tenure track profs.

Also talk to people that are have gone into industry or finance.

Delong said:
Perhaps I'm too young to decide for sure exactly I want to do. I just have general ideas right now.

I'm forty-one and I still haven't decided exactly what I want to do, and I just have a few general ideas.

"Also, doctors and lawyers leave graduate schools with massive debt. Physicists don't, and that makes a *big* difference. One reason that physicists have diverse careers is that they aren't forced to do the same thing. "

Hee I'm so glad I chose not to go into medicine.

"Remember, you're comparing with a couple of the highest paying career fields there are. Just because one isn't one of the top paid people doesn't mean you're poor :P "
That's very true.

"Also talk to people that are have gone into industry or finance."
ok

Thanks everyone.

1. How much will I earn as a scientist?

As a scientist, your salary will vary depending on your field of study, level of education, and experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for scientists and engineers in 2020 was $91,850. However, this can range from $50,000 to over $200,000 depending on your specific job and location.

2. Will I struggle to find employment as a scientist?

The demand for scientists is growing in many fields, such as biotechnology, environmental science, and data analysis. However, competition can be high for certain positions and in certain locations. It is important to gain experience through internships and networking to improve your chances of finding employment as a scientist.

3. Do I need a PhD to be a successful scientist?

While a PhD can open up more opportunities and may lead to higher salaries, it is not always necessary to have a successful career as a scientist. Many successful scientists have only a bachelor's or master's degree and have gained experience and skills through work and research opportunities.

4. Will I have a work-life balance as a scientist?

Work-life balance can vary greatly depending on your specific job and workplace. Some roles may require long hours or work on weekends and holidays, while others may have more flexible schedules. It is important to find a work environment and job that aligns with your personal priorities and values.

5. Can I make a difference as a scientist?

Absolutely! Scientists play a crucial role in advancing knowledge, solving problems, and making meaningful contributions to society. Whether you are researching new treatments for diseases, developing sustainable technologies, or studying the impacts of climate change, your work as a scientist can have a positive impact on the world.