Demonstration analysis and good books?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a suitable delta value for demonstrating lim (x^2)=4 as well as recommendations for algebra, calculus, and real analysis books. The speaker also seeks clarification on whether it is appropriate to take an analysis course without completing calculus. They also inquire about books on polar coordinates and apologize for any confusion caused by their mathematical notation.
fgyamauti
When I try to demonstrate that lim (x^2)=4
x--->2

I found a different delta (delta=min{2-sqrt(epsilon-4),sqrt(epsilon+4)-2}, towards the one that is written in Demidovich´s book (delta=epsilon/5). Could someone help me?
Could someone tell me, too, a good algebra, calculus and real analysis book? Is it ok if i try analysis next semester absent a more advanced calculus (without calculus 2)? I need some books that explain polar coordinates too (good ones for beginner).
Thanks and sorry for my mathematical notation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want [itex]|x^2- 4|= |(x- 2)(x+ 2)|= |x+ 2||x- 2|< \epsilon[/itex].
So we can write [itex]|x- 2|< \epsilon/|x+ 2|[/itex]
But we need a value, [itex]\delta[/itex] that does NOT depend on x so that is [itex]|x- 2|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|x- 2|< \epsilon/|x+ 2|[/itex]. That means we want [itex]\delta< \epsilon/|x+2|[/itex].

If |x- 2|< 1 (The "1" is chosen just because it is simple. Any positive number would do.) then -1< x- 2< 1 so 1< x< 3 and then 3< x+2< 5 so that 3< |x+ 2|< 5. Then
[tex]\frac{1}{5}< \frac{1}{|x+2|}< 1/3[/tex]
and so
[tex]\frac{\epsilon}{5}< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+2|}[/tex]

That is, if
[tex]|x- 2|< \frac{\epsilon}{5}[/tex]
and |x- 2|< 1 as assumed above to get this, we will have
[tex]|x-2|< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+2|}[/tex]
so
[tex]|x-2||x+2|= |x^2- 4|< \epsilon[/tex]
as need.

In other words, take [itex]\delta[/itex] to be the smaller of [itex]\epsilon/5[/itex] or 1.

Analysis is basically the theory behind the Calculus. I would NOT take an analysis course without having completed the Calculus sequence.

1. What is demonstration analysis?

Demonstration analysis is a method used in scientific research to visually demonstrate the results of an experiment or study. It involves using charts, graphs, and other visual aids to present data and findings in a clear and organized manner.

2. Why is demonstration analysis important?

Demonstration analysis is important because it allows researchers to effectively communicate their results and conclusions to others. It also helps to identify patterns and trends in the data, making it easier to draw accurate conclusions and make informed decisions.

3. What makes a good book for demonstration analysis?

A good book for demonstration analysis should have clear, concise explanations of the methods and techniques used in data analysis. It should also have plenty of examples and illustrations to help readers understand the concepts being presented.

4. How can I improve my skills in demonstration analysis?

To improve your skills in demonstration analysis, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different data analysis tools and techniques. You can also attend workshops or take online courses to learn new methods and stay updated with the latest developments in the field.

5. Can demonstration analysis be used in all fields of science?

Yes, demonstration analysis can be used in all fields of science as it is a versatile method for presenting and analyzing data. It is commonly used in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and social sciences.