Math classes to self study physics

In summary, the speaker plans to pursue a PhD in statistics, but is currently focusing on filling elective courses that will aid in their self-study of special relativity, general relativity, and quantum mechanics. They recommend taking courses in linear algebra and inner spaces for special relativity, differential geometry for general relativity, and linear algebra, complex analysis, functional analysis, and statistics for quantum mechanics. It is also suggested to have a background in these topics before directly studying them.
transphenomen
I will be attempting to get a PhD in statistics eventually though I have yet to get my BS, however, in the mean time I have a few electives I need to fill and I want them to help me in my self study of relativity and quantum mechanics. I will not be surpassing a Master's knowledge of these areas and I probably won't even get that far, but I would like to know which math classes will give me the best grounding as I read up on physics in my spare time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any and all math is always nice to have in your toolkit when it comes to many things in general.

For Special Relativity: linear algebra can be nice (i know its even formulated in chapter 6.9 by Friedberg's Linear Algebra axiomatically). Usually the second half of a second year pure math course will cover enough in inner spaces to help out.

For General Relativity: Differential Geometry is -the- math that is used.

For Quantum Mechanics: Linear Algebra again (used to be called Matrix Mechanics in Heisenberg's formulation), complex analysis, functional analysis, and stats.

Like anything else, its good to get a background of these topics before delving into them directly if you're not used to a 'pure' mathematical approach.

1. What math classes do I need to self-study physics?

In order to successfully self-study physics, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Calculus is also essential for understanding many concepts in physics.

2. Can I self-study physics without taking any math classes?

While it is possible to self-study some basic concepts in physics without taking any math classes, a solid understanding of mathematical principles is necessary for comprehending more complex topics in physics.

3. Do I need to take advanced math classes, such as differential equations, to self-study physics?

Taking advanced math classes, such as differential equations, can certainly be beneficial for self-studying physics. However, it is not necessary as long as you have a strong understanding of calculus and other foundational math principles.

4. How can I improve my math skills in order to better understand physics?

One way to improve your math skills for studying physics is to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available to supplement your learning.

5. Are there any specific math topics I should focus on for self-studying physics?

Some important math topics to focus on for self-studying physics include algebraic manipulations, calculus, trigonometry, and vectors. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic physics concepts before diving into more advanced mathematics.