Solving a DE Using Substitution: y=z^α

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the general solution to a specific differential equation using a given substitution. The process involves factoring and solving for the constants.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must calculate the general solution to the following (reducible to homogeneous) DE:
[itex](x^2y^2-1)y'+2xy^3=0[/itex].
Hint: Use the substitution [itex]y=z^\alpha[/itex].

Homework Equations

The one given in the hint.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've used the hint. This gave me [itex](x^2z^{2 \alpha }-1)\alpha z^{\alpha -1}+2xz^{3\alpha }=0[/itex].
I factorized by [itex]z^{\alpha -1}[/itex] and I reach that [itex]z^{\alpha -1}=0[/itex] (thus z=0, thus y=0) or [itex]z^{2\alpha } (\alpha x^2 +2xz)=\alpha[/itex].
I ran out of ideas on the second condition. ( I don't think back-substituting [itex]z^\alpha =y[/itex] will help).
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A:Hint:$$z^{2\alpha}(\alpha x^2+2xz)=\alpha\;\;\;\;\;\implies\;\;\;\;\;z=\frac{\alpha}{2x}\pm \sqrt{\frac{\alpha^2}{4x^2}-1}=\frac{\alpha}{2x}\pm\frac{\sqrt{\alpha^2-4x^2}}{2x}$$Now, substitute $y=z^\alpha$ and you'll get two equations from which you can find the constants.

1. What is substitution in the context of solving a differential equation?

Substitution is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve equations by replacing one variable with another. In the context of solving a differential equation, substitution involves replacing the dependent variable, usually represented by y, with a new variable, usually represented by z, to transform the equation into a simpler form.

2. Why is substitution used in solving differential equations?

Substitution is used in solving differential equations because it can help to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. By substituting the dependent variable with a new variable, we can often transform the equation into a form that is easier to integrate or manipulate algebraically.

3. How does substitution work in solving a differential equation using y=z^α?

In the equation y=z^α, we substitute z for y to transform the original equation into one that contains only z. This allows us to solve for z, and then use the substitution again to find the solution for y. The parameter α can be chosen to make the substitution more effective in simplifying the equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using substitution in solving differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using substitution in solving differential equations. Substitution may not work for all types of differential equations, and it may not always lead to a solution. Sometimes, it can even make the equation more difficult to solve. It is important to carefully choose the substitution variable and parameter to ensure that it will simplify the equation.

5. Can substitution be used for all types of differential equations?

No, substitution cannot be used for all types of differential equations. It is most effective for first-order and separable differential equations. In some cases, it may also be used for higher-order equations, but it may not lead to a solution for more complex equations. Other techniques, such as integration by parts or using differential equations solvers, may be more suitable for certain types of equations.