Electromagnetic waves and phase difference

In summary, electromagnetic waves consist of time varying electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation. The phase difference between the electric and magnetic field vectors is zero, meaning that they peak and vanish at the same time. This is different from two out of phase waves, where one is at its maximum while the other is at its minimum. The two illustrations provided in the conversation do not represent the phase relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in an electromagnetic wave.
logearav

Homework Statement

Electromagnetic waves contain time varying electric and magnetic field perpendicular to each other and also to path of progression. The phase difference between electric field vector and magnetic field vector is zero

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How the phase difference is zero? Because when E is at ∏/2, B is at -∏/2. When phase difference is zero, Both E and B are in phase with each other, which means when E is at zero, B should also be at zero and when E is at ∏, B should also be at ∏. I am confused. Revered members, please help

Physics news on Phys.org
logearav said:
Because when E is at ∏/2, B is at -∏/2.
Why do you say that?

Thanks for the reply. Now I have provided the image for EM wave and also another image --- two coloured curves representing two completely out of phase waves.
Both look similar. Then how can we say EM waves are in phase with each other?

Attachments

• EM.png
    EM.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 693
  • ART_active_force._eng.jpg
    ART_active_force._eng.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 548
The two illustrations, while looking similar, really have nothing to do with each other.

In the first one, you have two waves of different types which point in perpendicular directions. One is the electric field; the other is the magnetic field. They don't add to together or anything like that. Note that E and B peak at the same time, and they vanish at the same time. They oscillate in phase.

vela,
Now if i assume the coloured curves as a EM wave, Red representing E, and Blue representing B, can i say they are in phase?

E and H are perpendicular. For example, E vibrates in the x direction and H vibrates in the y direction. You can not plot them in the same graph as the left picture in your attachment. There the curves have opposite phases, as one is minimum and the other maximum at the same time.
But E and H can not be compared this way. You can compare vectors by their magnitude, but can not say that the vector (2,0) is larger than (0,-2).

E and H in phase means that both have peak value at the same time and zero at the same time, as Vela pointed out.

ehild

@ehild,
I got it now. Thanks a lot.
@Vela
Thanks for clarifying. I read your post again with inputs from ehild and i got it now. Thanks a lot, Vela, for your reply.

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. They are composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields and can travel through a vacuum at the speed of light.

2. How are electromagnetic waves produced?

Electromagnetic waves are produced by accelerating electric charges. This can happen through various processes such as the movement of electrons in an antenna, the vibrations of atoms and molecules, or the acceleration of charged particles in a particle accelerator.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in electromagnetic waves?

The frequency of an electromagnetic wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

4. What is phase difference in electromagnetic waves?

Phase difference refers to the difference in the relative positions of two waves at a given point in time. In electromagnetic waves, it is the difference in the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields at a specific point. It is measured in degrees or radians and can affect the interference and polarization of waves.

5. How is phase difference important in applications of electromagnetic waves?

Phase difference is essential in various applications of electromagnetic waves, such as in telecommunications, radar, and medical imaging. It allows for the manipulation and control of waves, which is crucial for transmitting and receiving information, as well as producing images with high resolution and contrast.