Solving for Potential with Circular Harmonics & Legendre Polynomials

In summary: They are analogous to Legendre polynomials in that they are harmonic functions for spheroids. The two are not the same, however. The Zernike polynomials are related to the Legendre polynomials byZ_n(r,t) = Legendre_n(r,t) + H_n(r,t)where H_n(x,t) is a Legendre polynomial.
kthouz
I have a problem consisting in solving for potential in 2 dim polar coordinates where I am asked to use circular harmonics. Can I still use Legendre polynomials (since these are actually for spherical harmonics)? If not what are their analoguous in polar coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds just like cos and sin to me.

Circular harmonics are discussed at <http://www.blackpawn.com/texts/ch/default.html>.
There they look like modified cosines.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Laplacian, in polar coordinates, reduces to Bessel's equation. Bessel functions are harmonics for two dimensional circles (or three dimensional cylinders).

I believe that "circular harmonics" refers to the Gauss-Laguerre functions defined by

[itex]GL_n(r) = L_n(r^2) exp(-r^2/2)[/itex]

where [itex]L_n(x)[/itex] is the nth Laguerre polynomial. (They are often denoted by a script L, but I don't know how to do that.) They turn up in descriptions of circular radar and laser beams. They constitute a complete orthogonal basis and have the very handy property that each is its own Hankel transform. They're distinctly different from both Legendre polynomials and Bessel functions, but they're useful for expanding potentials in circular geometries.

The Bessel and Neumann (or equivalently the Hankel) functions provide a basis for the radial equation, when separating the 2D Laplace equation in polar coordinates. For the angular part, which I'd identify with the analog of spherical harmonics in 2D are simply the orthonormal set of exponential functions

[tex]u_m(\varphi)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \exp(\mathrm{i} m \varphi), \quad m \in \mathbb{Z},[/tex]

or, if you prefer real basis,

[tex]u_0(\varphi)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}, \quad u_m^{(1)}(\varphi)=\cos(m \varphi), \quad u_m^{(2)}(\varphi) \sin(\varphi), \quad m \in \mathbb{N}_{>0}.[/tex]

The general solution of the Laplace equation in terms of the corresponding series reads

[tex]\phi(r,\varphi)=\sum_{m=-\infty}^{\infty} [\phi_m^{(1)} J_m(r/r_0) + \phi_m^{(2)} N_m(r/r_0)] u_m(\varphi).[/tex]

This form with the Bessel and Neumann functions is convenient since [itex]J_m[/itex] is the solution of the radial equation which is analytic in [itex]r=0[/itex], while [itex]N_m[/itex] is singular at the origin.

The OP specifically said two-dimensional. The solution to the potential in two-dimensional polar coordinates is not Bessel functions (that is the solution to three-dimensional cylindrical coordinates) but us just powers of the radial coordinate times sines and cosines of the angular coordinate. In two-dimensions, circular harmonics are just sines and cosines in the angular coordinate with a single-valued condition applied (thus leading to harmonics).
See the end of http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/95.657%282011%29/EMLecture4.pdf" .

Last edited by a moderator:
kthouz said:
I have a problem consisting in solving for potential in 2 dim polar coordinates where I am asked to use circular harmonics. Can I still use Legendre polynomials (since these are actually for spherical harmonics)? If not what are their analoguous in polar coordinates?

Perhaps Zernike polynomials?

1. What is the purpose of using circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials in potential solving?

The use of circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials allows for the representation of a potential field in a more efficient and accurate manner. These mathematical tools are especially useful in cases where the potential field exhibits spherical symmetry.

2. How are circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials used in potential solving?

Circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials are used to express the potential field as a series of terms, with each term representing a different mode or aspect of the field. By summing these terms, the full potential field can be accurately approximated.

3. What are the advantages of using these mathematical tools in potential solving?

The use of circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials allows for a more compact and efficient representation of the potential field, making it easier to work with and manipulate. Additionally, these tools can also provide insight into the underlying symmetries and structures of the potential field.

4. Are there any limitations to using circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials in potential solving?

While useful in many cases, circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials may not always be appropriate for representing potential fields that do not exhibit spherical symmetry. In these cases, other mathematical tools may be more suitable.

5. How can circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials be applied in real-world problems?

Circular harmonics and Legendre polynomials are commonly used in fields such as physics, geophysics, and astronomy to solve potential problems related to gravity, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena. They can also be applied in engineering and technology for tasks such as designing efficient antenna configurations or optimizing fluid flow in pipes.