Emission or absorption spectrum

In summary, X rays can produce both continuous and line spectra, and the question is whether these spectra are examples of emission or absorption. The author believes it is emission spectrum due to the absence of absorbing material, but seeks confirmation from experts.
logearav

Homework Statement

X rays give continuous spectrum and line spectrum. Whether these spectrums are emission or absorption spectrum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is emission spectrum, because there is no absorbing material. Still, i need confirmation from experts of this forum.Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
logearav said:

Homework Statement

X rays give continuous spectrum and line spectrum. Whether these spectrums are emission or absorption spectrum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is emission spectrum, because there is no absorbing material. Still, i need confirmation from experts of this forum.Thanks in advance

When I read your original post, it makes me think that the two types of spectrum - continuous and line - represent examples of each of the situations, emission and absorption, and you are being asked which one is which.
Just a thought.

What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is a display of the different wavelengths of light emitted by a substance. It is unique to each substance and can be used to identify the elements present in a sample.

What is an absorption spectrum?

An absorption spectrum is a display of the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a substance. It is also unique to each substance and can be used to identify the elements present in a sample.

What is the difference between emission and absorption spectra?

The main difference between emission and absorption spectra is that emission spectra show the wavelengths of light that are emitted by a substance, while absorption spectra show the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a substance.

How are emission and absorption spectra used in scientific research?

Emission and absorption spectra are used in a variety of scientific research, including identifying elements in a sample, studying the properties of molecules, and understanding the composition of distant objects in space.

What is the relationship between energy and the wavelengths in emission and absorption spectra?

The energy of a photon is directly related to its wavelength. In emission and absorption spectra, the peaks and dips represent the different energy levels of the atoms or molecules in the sample, with shorter wavelengths corresponding to higher energy levels and longer wavelengths corresponding to lower energy levels.