How to Determine if an Analytic Solution Exists for a Differential Equation?

• Thread starter cantdotthis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of solving a particular differential equation and the potential solutions, including using separation of variables and finding an analytic solution. The speakers also mention the challenges of finding an analytic solution in real-world applications and the use of numerical solutions in those cases.
cantdotthis

Homework Statement

I can't figure out how to solve this problem. When i do it straight forward, I get a crazy complex equation. I think I need to play with it a little before I ∫ it, but I am not sure. Everything is real, and it is in my seperable diffy eg section

dy/dx=(4x-4x^3)/(4-y^3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
So why not separate the variable like normal?
[tex](4-y^3)dy = (4x-4x^3)dx[/tex]

I did that and got
4y-(4y^4)/4=2x^2-(x^4)/4+c.
But I think that I need to make it y=F(x). I can't get the y by itself

cantdotthis said:

I can't get the y by itself
That's pretty common with solutions to differential equations.

I'm having a similar problem with simple DE's that are solvable via separation of vars or using an integration factor. Many problems come up with solutions containing y in the form of ye^y. My professor said that it's fine as the solution for her tests and so on, but in a real application, what would you do?

In a real application you'd use it as the basis for a numerical solution.
Note: ye^y is not the problem - it is that ye^y=f(x), and f(x) is the problem because it can be anything.

When you can get one as a function of the other you have an analytic solution.
There are a very large number of situations where you don't get one... in fact, for an arbitrary DE it is usually the case.

working out whether an analytic solution exists is a tricky part of number theory.

1. What does "setting it up" refer to?

"Setting it up" typically refers to the process of assembling, installing, and/or configuring a device, software, or system to make it operational and ready for use.

2. How can I get help with setting it up?

There are several ways to get help with setting something up. You can consult the user manual or online resources provided by the manufacturer, seek assistance from a technical support team, or ask a friend or colleague who is knowledgeable about the subject matter.

3. What are some common challenges people face when setting something up?

Some common challenges when setting something up include difficulty understanding the instructions, missing or faulty components, compatibility issues, and technical errors. These challenges can often be resolved by carefully following the instructions and seeking help from experts if needed.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should set things up?

Yes, it is important to follow the recommended order of steps provided by the manufacturer to ensure proper installation and functionality. Skipping steps or doing them out of order can lead to issues and may require you to start over.

5. What should I do if I encounter problems during the setup process?

If you encounter problems during the setup process, the best course of action is to refer to the troubleshooting section in the user manual or seek assistance from technical support. It is also helpful to double-check that all components are properly connected and that you are following the instructions correctly.