Obtaining mathematical model for the kinetic system

In summary, the given system consists of three masses connected by springs and subject to kinetic friction. The equations of motion for each mass are given, but the effect of the input force, f(t), on x1 and x2 is not reflected in the equations. The equations may need to be modified to account for the unbalanced forces from the springs and friction.
ssulun

Homework Statement

See attachment.

f(t) is the input force and b1 and b2 are kinetic friction constants. There is no static friction.

Homework Equations

[tex]ƩF = m \ddot{x}[/tex]
[tex]F_s=kx[/tex]
[tex]F_f=b\dot{x}[/tex]

Ff is the force from friction and Fs is the force from spring.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]m_1\ddot{x_1}=-b_1\dot{x_1}-k_1x_1-k_1x_2[/tex]
[tex]m_2\ddot{x_2}=-b_2\dot{x_2}-k_1x_1-k_1x_2-k_2x_2[/tex]
[tex]m_3\ddot{x_3}=f[/tex]

I have two questions:

1) Should I include the friction between m1 and m3 and m2 and m3 in the equation for x3 and why?

2) When I imagine this system, I think that f(t) should definitely affect x1 and x2, but in my equations it doesn't. Where am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• system.jpg
    system.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me try, hope somebody will correct me.
Taking springs as massless.

m1a=k1x1+b1m1g
m2a=k2x2+b2m2g-k1x1
(m1+m2+m3)a=f(t)

b1 and b2 are kinetic friction constants, and k1 spring is squeezed from both x1 and x2 so I can change those parts, but your work gave me new ideas, thank you.

I have modified it as:

[tex]m_1\ddot{x_1}=-b_1\dot{x_1}-k_1x_1-k_1x_2[/tex]
[tex]m_2\ddot{x_2}=-b_2\dot{x_2}-k_1x_1-k_1x_2-k_2x_2[/tex]
[tex](m_1+m_2+m_3)\ddot{x_3}=f[/tex]

But still, x1 and x2 don't depend on f and that bothers me.

I should have written the effect of k1 in the equation 1 as k1(x1+x2), not k1x1.

Also, the k2 spring will pull m3 with k2x2 (to balance the forces on the k2 spring). So should I write the equation for x3 as:
[tex]m_3\ddot{x_3}=f-k_2x_2[/tex]
or should I write an overall system with (m1+m2+m3) and include the unbalanced forces from b1 and b2?

I am very confused.

1. What is a mathematical model?

A mathematical model is a representation of a real-world system or phenomenon using mathematical equations and relationships. It allows scientists to make predictions and understand the behavior of the system.

2. Why is it important to obtain a mathematical model for a kinetic system?

Obtaining a mathematical model for a kinetic system allows us to understand and predict the behavior of the system, which is crucial for many scientific and engineering applications. It also allows us to further study and manipulate the system to improve its performance or solve problems.

3. How do you obtain a mathematical model for a kinetic system?

To obtain a mathematical model for a kinetic system, we first need to gather data about the system's behavior and characteristics. This data is then used to formulate mathematical equations and relationships that describe the system's behavior. These equations can be derived from fundamental physical principles, experimental data, or a combination of both.

4. What are the challenges of obtaining a mathematical model for a kinetic system?

One of the main challenges in obtaining a mathematical model for a kinetic system is the complexity of the system itself. Kinetic systems often involve multiple variables and factors that can influence the system's behavior, making it difficult to accurately represent with a mathematical model. Additionally, experimental data may be limited or inaccurate, which can also affect the accuracy of the model.

5. How do you validate a mathematical model for a kinetic system?

To validate a mathematical model for a kinetic system, we compare the model's predictions to experimental data or observations. If the model accurately predicts the behavior of the system, it can be considered valid. However, if there are discrepancies between the model and the data, the model may need to be refined or adjusted. Ongoing validation and refinement of a model are important to ensure its accuracy and usefulness.