Teaching a high school graduate physics

In summary, the conversation is about a senior undergraduate student seeking recommendations for resources to teach their sister physics and prepare for the GRE. They mention Physics: Concepts and Connections by Art Hobson as a potential book, but decide to use Griffiths or Taylor for a more rigorous approach. They also mention Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare as online resources for studying physics.
zpatzer
Hello all,

I'm a Senior in undergrad physics. I want to teach my sister physics as well as prepare for the GRE this summer. What are solid introductions both mathematically and conceptually concise?

I am thinking of Physics: Concepts and Connections (5th Edition) by Art Hobson before I start a rigorous math introduction. Has anyone any opinion on this book? I can't seem to find it in any library near me, and I'm wondering if it is worth buying. Specifically, does it properly explain the concept of fields (E&M) and why we use them and minimization principle?

I plan on using griffiths/taylor for more math-oriented introductions. Are there any online lectures better than these? Taylor is excellent, but I always found Griffths inconsistent in his flow between concepts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
Well I bought the book since nobody replied -_- I'll let you know how it is. Can't believe I couldn't find a decent review anywhere.

I also found this as a pretty good resource:.academicearth.org/speakers/ramamurti-shankar-1 (apparently I can't link ppl so add the front)

Anyone else feel like they just need a complete review of everything they've learned and something just clicks?

Hi there,

I have not personally used Physics: Concepts and Connections by Art Hobson, but from the reviews I've read, it seems like a solid introduction to physics for non-scientists. It covers a wide range of topics and is written in a clear and understandable way. However, if you are looking for a more mathematically rigorous approach, I would recommend using Griffiths or Taylor as you mentioned.

As for online lectures, I have found Khan Academy to be a great resource for learning physics concepts. They have a variety of videos and practice problems that can help supplement your studies. I also recommend checking out MIT OpenCourseWare, where you can find lectures and course materials from actual physics courses at MIT.

Overall, my advice would be to use a combination of resources to find the best approach for you. Good luck with your studies and the GRE!

1. What is the best way to introduce physics to a high school graduate?

The best way to introduce physics to a high school graduate is to start with the basics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the fundamental principles of energy and forces. This will provide a solid foundation for more complex concepts and theories.

2. How can I make physics more interesting and engaging for a high school graduate?

One way to make physics more interesting is to incorporate real-world examples and demonstrations that relate to the student's daily life. This will help them see the practical applications of physics and make the subject more relatable.

3. What are some effective teaching strategies for teaching physics to a high school graduate?

Some effective teaching strategies for teaching physics to a high school graduate include hands-on experiments, interactive activities, and visual aids such as diagrams and videos. It is also important to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How can I help a high school graduate who is struggling with understanding physics?

If a high school graduate is struggling with understanding physics, it may be helpful to offer additional resources such as practice problems, online tutorials, or one-on-one tutoring. It is also important to provide support and encouragement to the student to boost their confidence.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for a high school graduate with a strong foundation in physics?

A high school graduate with a strong foundation in physics can pursue various careers such as engineering, research, medicine, and teaching. Physics also provides a solid base for further studies in fields such as astronomy, computer science, and environmental science.