What is the distance between two parallel lines using the distance formula?

• Thread starter adamwest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance between two parallel lines using the distance formula. The speaker is struggling to find the correct answer and asks for help. The expert suggests finding the equation of a line perpendicular to the two parallel lines and finding the points of intersection to calculate the distance. The expert also provides an alternative method using calculus. Finally, the expert gives the correct answer of (3√5)/5 for the distance between the two parallel lines.
adamwest
I feel like a total noob, but my friend is reviewing distance formula and asked for my help. I can't seem to get the correct answer, which his teacher wrote as (3√5)/5

What is the distance from the line y=2x to the parallel line y=2x+3?

The vertical distance is obviously 3, but that is not what they want. When I try two different x-values, 1 for y=2x and 2 for y=2x+3, I get the following:

(1,2) for y=2x
and
(2,7) for y=2x+3

When I plug those into the distance formula I get √26:
√(2-1)^2 + (7-2)^2

It has been a long time since I did this, what am I forgetting? I am sure it is something simple...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
adamwest said:
I feel like a total noob, but my friend is reviewing distance formula and asked for my help. I can't seem to get the correct answer, which his teacher wrote as (3√5)/5

What is the distance from the line y=2x to the parallel line y=2x+3?

The vertical distance is obviously 3, but that is not what they want. When I try two different x-values, 1 for y=2x and 2 for y=2x+3, I get the following:

(1,2) for y=2x
and
(2,7) for y=2x+3

When I plug those into the distance formula I get √26:
√(2-1)^2 + (7-2)^2

It has been a long time since I did this, what am I forgetting? I am sure it is something simple...

The distance between two parallel lines is defined as being the perpendicular (perpendicular to both lines) distance between the two lines. The vertical line isn't perpendicular, and the points you've chosen are making a line even more slanted than the vertical line. Draw the equations on graph paper, plot the points you suggested and notice that the line connecting the two points is far from the shortest distance between the two lines.

If you want to find the shortest distance, you're going to have to first find the gradient of the line that is perpendicular to y=2x and y=2x+3.

Mentallic said:
The distance between two parallel lines is defined as being the perpendicular (perpendicular to both lines) distance between the two lines. The vertical line isn't perpendicular, and the points you've chosen are making a line even more slanted than the vertical line. Draw the equations on graph paper, plot the points you suggested and notice that the line connecting the two points is far from the shortest distance between the two lines.

If you want to find the shortest distance, you're going to have to first find the gradient of the line that is perpendicular to y=2x and y=2x+3.

Yes, this is correct.

Step by step.

1) Find the equation of a line perpendicular to your two parallel lines.

2) Find the points of intersection. There should be two. One for the first parallel line and one for the second.

3) Find the distance between those two points.

HINT:
It doesn't matter what perpendicular line you use. So use something that will make your math a little easier :-)

Since y = 2x passes through the origin, picking a perpendicular that passes through the origin as well will make life easy.

In general, when we talk about the distance between two extended bodies (anything other than two points), we mean the shortest of all distances between points in each set.) And, because the hypotenuse of a right triangle is longer than either leg, that is always along a line perpendicular to the bodies.

This may end up being the same as what others suggested, but you can also take

a point in one of the lines and find its orthogonal projection into the other line.

Or you can just use calculus.

A point on the y = 2x +3 line, will have coordinates (x, 2x+3)
The distance from (x, 2x+3) to the point (0,0) on the other line is

[tex] \sqrt {x^2 + (2x+3)^2} = \sqrt{ 5x^2 + 12x + 9} [/tex]

If the distance is at a minimum, the square of the distance will also be at a minium,
so you can ignore the square root, and you can differentiate 5x^2 + 12x + 9
and set the result to 0, to get a minimum"

10x + 12 = 0, so x = -6/5 and the point is (-6/5, 3/5)

The distance from this point to (0,0) is

[tex] \sqrt {\frac {36}{25} + \frac { 9} {25}} = \sqrt {\frac {9} {5}} = \frac {3 \sqrt{5}} {5} [/tex]

Gradient of perpendicular line to y=2x and y=2x+3 is -1/2(mn=-1).
At x=0, their distance vertically is 3.

Tanθ=-1/2, Cos(θ-90)=1/√5
Distance =3.1/√5 = 3/√5 =(3√5)/5

Last edited:

1. What is the distance formula?

The distance formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the distance between two points in a coordinate plane. It is represented as d = √((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

2. How is the distance formula derived?

The distance formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By applying this theorem to the horizontal and vertical distances between two points, we can derive the distance formula.

3. What are the applications of the distance formula?

The distance formula has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and geography. It can be used to calculate the distance between two locations on a map, the length of a diagonal in a rectangle, or the displacement of an object in motion.

4. Can the distance formula be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the distance formula can be extended to calculate the distance between points in higher dimensions, such as 3D or n-dimensional space. The formula remains the same, but with additional terms for each additional dimension.

5. How can the distance formula be used to solve real-world problems?

The distance formula can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the shortest distance between two cities on a map, determining the distance a projectile will travel, or calculating the length of a diagonal in a cube. By understanding and applying the distance formula, we can solve many everyday problems that involve distance and measurement.